none
My Start Page is not keeping projects that I pin on my recent list in visual studio 2015

Question

• I just set up a new laptop with visual studio 2015 and pulled multiple solutions down from my source control to start working.  I frequently have multiple solutions open so I can debug multiple applications connecting to one or more web api services for their data.  

The list of projects that shows up in my start page under recent rarely shows more than two, even though I have opened six or seven different solutions.  I have kept a close eye on that list of recent projects, and I have pinned some of my most commonly used ones in the rare event that they do show up in my recent list.  Yet I just started a fresh instance of visual studio (no other instances running right now either), and I only see two in my recent list, with a conspicuous absence of several that I have pinned.

This isn't a huge deal, but it is one of those annoyances that I would really like to know hot to fix.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost

Thursday, February 04, 2016 2:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi DannyStaten,

According to your description, I try with the steps you described, I don't find this issue in my Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise with Update 1.

But I find the Recent list will list ten projects in this list. If you opened projects are more than ten, it will move the projects which not be pinned in Recent list. Please check how many projects pinned.

And do you have clean your computer/Visual Studio caches recently? If yes, this problem may be caused by the cleaned caches.

In addition, please run your Visual Studio as administrator to check whether this issue caused by the lack of permission when pinning the projects in Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, February 05, 2016 5:37 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  This is on a brand new laptop with VS 2015 freshly installed.  I have never seen more than 3 things on my recent list even though I have opened about seven different solutions.  I have tried pinning about four or five, and I only get two pinned and one other solution showing in my list.  Is there some setting I missed where I can set how many to show on my recent list?  It almost feels like the software has capped my visible recent list at three.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost

Friday, February 05, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Hi DannyStaten,

If possible, please reset your VS settings, and then re-open a few projects, open the VS, check the start page.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms247075%28v=vs.100%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 08, 2016 1:44 PM
  • I am having the same issue as well. I have already tried resetting my settings back to the defaults, but the problem persists.

I've only been using VS 2015 for a couple weeks now, but during that time I have opened a total of 6 projects in it. I have pinned 5 of those. At any given time though it will lose one or two of the 5 pinned projects.

The stupid thing is the 6th project that I opened by accident after losing one of the pinned projects has yet to ever drop off the list, and it isn't even a pinned project.

I've had the issue of losing pinned projects on the start page in VS 2010 or 2012.

Edit: I just checked the menu File -> Recent Projects and Solutions, and the latest project that disappeared is missing from there as well. The annoying part was the missing project I had open as recently as yesterday.

I also checked my options (Tools -> Options) and in the Environment -> General, I have the defaults of '10 items shown in recently used list' (and also '10 items shown in Window menu'). Again I've only every opened 6 projects in VS 2015 thus far. So it's not like I'm even near the maximum that would cause it to drop off.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:36 PM
  • @TheeBOBJohnson,

Since this thread was closed for a few days, to help you resolve this issue as soon as possible, would you mind opening a new case in this forum? We will following up your new thread in time.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, April 15, 2016 7:50 AM
  • My Start Page is not keeping projects when I open more then one Visual Studio 2015.
    They overwrite the settings of each other.
    Reset VS settings do not solve the problem.
    Monday, July 11, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Hi Viamo,

Since this thread has been closed for a long time, I suggest you create a new thread on our forum to describe your problem detailed. We will follow your new thread to help you resolve your problem.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:23 AM
  • I get exactly the same effect.

I think there may be a problem saving the settings if you have multiple instances of Visual Studio open (which I often do). My guess is that the last instance to be closed overwrites the settings saved by the other instances.

It would interest me to know whether other people who have this problem might have had multiple instances of visual studio open.

By the way, I don't like the policy of proposing and then accepting an answer by a moderator. This should be the exclusive job of the original poster. The current policy may improve the statistics, but I find that it reduces the quality of the forum.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:35 AM
  • Phil,
    Yes I get the exact same effect and I agree that it is likely tied to multiple instances of VS being open simultaneously. Microsoft needs to track this as a bug in VS2015.

Weiwei,
    You asked OP to reset VS Settings...ok, his was a new install. My answer to that question is "NO" I have tuned VS settings to operate they way I want them to and that includes preserving 'recent' items that are "pinned" and Needing to 'reset' my preferences IS NOT EVER A FIX... all that did for OP was hide the problem.  

Cos C

Friday, October 21, 2016 3:28 PM
  • I have tuned VS settings to operate they way I want them to ...

+1, same here. I like my settings!

Be careful, the next suggestion will be to do a clean Windows install. It wouldn't be the first time I see guidances like that, here at msdn.

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:08 PM
  • I gave up on trying to get this to work right. I instead found a 3rd party add-on called 'Solution Start Page' (can be found here: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Herdo.SolutionStartPage) that I use to replace my start page with a custom start page that has my pinned solutions.

I do agree it is something Visual Studio should fix, but seeing as I never used the default start page content, and this one lets me group solutions into categories that I define, I actually like it better - so even if VS fixes the bug, I'm sticking with my 3rd party solution.

Monday, February 20, 2017 8:11 PM
  • looks good. Thanks for sharing.

But MS please fix this issue!
    File menu->Recent files/projects doesn't work either, I used to load solutions also from there.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:24 AM