none
VS2008 and .NET 3.5 RTM install failure, .NET 2.0 broken RRS feed

• Question

• Tried to install the new Visual Studio and .NET 3.5 on my XP SP2 machine, and the installation went pear-shaped, similar to that of many other recent reports here.

QUESTION: What [all] needs to be removed at this point, in what order, and then what order should I attempt to reinstall things?

QUESTION #2: What is the appropriate isolation / protection / system state to make this work? A/V software is a problem, but can I do it with 'net traffic halted, or unplugged?

SUMMARY OF SITUATION:
    1) attempted install VS2008  RTM pkg
    It failed, w/ a long list of registry errors, concluding with 'restore will not be possible'. XP was fouled, couldn't shutdown or launch TaskMgr. Pulled plug.  Trend-Micro PC-Cillin 2007, and my attempt to reconfigure it during the install (halted 'net traffic, turned off A/V) was probably a significant contributing factor.

2) Various recovery attempts that I probably can't catalog accurately.  Used System Restore to a point before #1. .NET 2.0 was damaged, VS2005 ran, but with defects.  An existing 1.1 web app won't run, permission pblm with aspnet_wp.exe, error code 80004005

3) Couldn't repair or uninstall VS2005, or 2.0. Another hang and power cycle, and [apparently ineffective] Restore.

4) .NET 1.1 & VS2003 repaired successfully, but the 1.1 apps still can't run because of aspnet_wp.exe error cited.

5) Downloaded and ran clean_tool.exe, on 3.5, 3.0, 2.0 in succession
    Each failed, most errors were return code 1 from msizapw.exe calls, one msiexec.exe return code 1635.  The 2.0 run did remove a lot of stuff, and now that is out of the "Add or Remove" programs list.  But there are many other chunks and bits, VS2005, .NET 2.0 Compact Framework, multiple SQLS 2005 items.

LOGFILE AVAILABLE: I've used the "Collect" tool to make a vslogs.cab, which is just under 5MB. Wasn't sure if I could email it unbidden, or needed to post here first, so.

Thank you for any help you can give. This is day #3 of sub-zero productivity, and I'm hoping to stop digging and get back to building.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:30 PM

Answers

•  Tom von Alten wrote:
    is it possible to carry out the installation without a network connection?

Yes.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:08 AM
  • This turned out to be a long, and very ugly story, with the final (non-)resolution described in the third thread I started on the subject.

The question I posed here -- What [all] needs to be removed at this point, in what order, and then what order should I attempt to reinstall things? -- never did get an explicit answer, and indeed, there may not be one. (The closest that's been suggested is
       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907965
    or steps 4 and 5 of
       http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/12/16/504906.aspx
    I did go through the KB process, but it's likely I didn't follow the directions well enough.)

You may well need to start completely over; I'm now convinced that complete reinstallation of the O/S is the best and most likely path to fixing this machine. Practically (and since it's not broken for anything outside Visual Studio), I may simply abandon it, and use a different machine instead.

That is one hell of an indictment of an out-of-control IDE infrastructure coming from Microsoft.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:44 PM

All replies

• After the thrill of discovery that it wasn't just me having huge problems with the .NET 3.5 install package, and that MS folks were participating in this forum, I was kind of excited that there might actually be some sort of support forthcoming.

Oh well.

The Clean_tool did scrape enough of .NET 2.0 et al. off of my machine that I was able to finish uninstallation of the whole mess, all the way back to pre-.NET 1.1 & IIS. After backing things up and cleaning my registry, I was able to re-install IIS, .NET 1.1, Visual Studio and get everything back to functional for my production application.  I'll get around to VS2005/.NET 2.0 shortly, but since that was fine the first time I installed it, I don't anticipate a problem.

As for .NET 3.5, I might consider it about SP1 timeframe. These bits are clearly not ready for prime time; I didn't realize I was signing up for a 3+ day beta test of the install process. Very disappointing.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:16 PM
  •  

Sounds like I'm going through the same hell Tom described.  I was at a 2008 release install fest where several hundred folks were given a disk.   My install hung while installing .Net3.5.  I had to kill the install process hours later.  No reinstall, uninstall, clean, repair of VS2005, uninstall 2005 or anything is working without errors.  I had a perfectly healthy system until I tried to install VS2008.   I have not had the beta or any prerelease candidate on this system.  I had a working production system of VS 2005 which is now defunct.  I've tried without firewalls, virus checkers.  I've use cleaner tools, and deleted almost all from %TEMP%.  

I must conclude that even this release candidate is not ready for prime time.  Maybe a completely clean and wiped system.  But that is not the case with most developers I know.

The links offered on the VS2008 failure modes point back to 2003 VS troubleshooting.   Pretty disappointing.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 11:49 PM
  • Hi Tom

aspnet_wp.exe is IIS work process, not related to VS installation, you could refer to forums.iis.net

However, it seems that the situation here is a little unclear to me, now can you install .NET Framework 3.5 full package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&displaylang=en?

Try to delete stuff in the %temp% folder and installing .NET Framework, still fails?

Thanks

Monday, December 17, 2007 4:09 AM
  • As noted, I got as far as scraping my system clean enough to get .NET 1.1, VS2003 & IIS working again, as they were before I attempted installation of 3.5.

Tonight, after installing unrelated software (TurboTax) which re-loaded .NET 2.0 as a prerequisite, I attempted to re-install VS2005. Its installer recognized some remnant (or else the newly installed copy of the Framework) and said I must "repair" first. I went ahead and did that: it stepped through .NET 2.0, the Document Explorer 2005, and then VS2005.

When originally installed (back in 2006), I had no trouble. This time, I got an unexpected error/termination, with the dialogue asking me if I'd like to send the report off to Microsoft. I did. The installer said there were "warnings," and I would I like to look at the error log? (Sounds like there were errors, doesn't it?)

The only new entry in the error log is:

[12/16/07,21:46:58] VS70pgui: [2] CComponentTree:Tongue TiedetGrayedCheckboxStates(): Default statement for nRootState reached; value: 0

and that was logged before the mid-process reboot. Is it "Watson" that logs the unexpected error? The only other flaw in the latest log is near the end,

[12/16/07,22:41:46] VS70pgui: CFinishPage::LaunchWatson() - Launching Watson with manifest: C:\DOCUME~1\tva\LOCALS~1\Temp\gencomp18.txt

I'm not sure what isn't clear to you. I'm still trying to recover from the aborted .NET 3.5 install, and I am not interested in continuing the beta test of that new product. I just want what I had before I made the mistake of trying to install .NET 3.5.

If I were still interested in .NET 3.5, are you saying that the disks distributed at the Installfest are N.G., and I'd have to download (how many GB of) new bits?
    Monday, December 17, 2007 6:27 AM
  • Hi Tom

My previously suggesting download the full package from web is to isolate potential problems caused by media.

If it proved to be healthy, it's OK.

So your situation here is failure in installing VS 2003 or VS 2005? From the error description, it looks like VS 2003 related.(If I got any misunderstanding please let me know)

Otherwise, if you gonna remove .NET Framework 3.5, you could utilize .NET Framework cleanup tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/12/04/6659905.aspx

Thanks

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:48 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. VS2003 is installed and working. VS2005 is newly re-installed, with that one error that seems minor, but the "unexpected" error that has unknown implications. VS2005 does run, although on attempting to open an existing web service project, it complains of a package load failure of the J# Redistributable Package, something I've never used, to my knowledge. I disabled that for future loads, and maybe that'll be OK.

But let's get back to the original questions I asked, which are of interest for my future reference, for others in the forum who are experiencing myriad .NET 3.5 install problems, and which could be useful for helping Microsoft figure out the interdependencies and side effects which are creating havoc for their customers.

The question about uninstallation is sort of addressed by the Clean_tool; after things are too broken to work through the normal "Add or Remove," try that. The reinstallation sequence seems to be handled by the VS2003 and VS2005 installers. The first one requires IIS to be setup before starting, then loads the
    "prerequisite" of .NET 1.1, etc.

I'm thinking there may be issues with SQL Server 2005, but I haven't got back to that yet.

QUESTION #2: What is the appropriate isolation / protection / system state to make this work? A/V software is a problem, but can I do it with internet traffic halted, or unplugged from the LAN?

Thank you for the explanation of why I might want to try downloading the package, to verify that my disks in hand are OK. I'm not prepared to go that route, for three reasons:
    1) I'm not willing to volunteer the time required for a multi-GB download right now;
    2) I don't have reason to believe that size download would be more reliable than DVDs;
    3) I have quite a bit of work to catch up on after last week's debacle, and I need to get back to it.

As noted in my original post, I do still have the .cab full of the logs as of the "broken beyond repair" stage of this, when I could neither repair nor uninstall .NET 2.0. I'll be happy to forward that, or send you a link to it on my webserver.  It's most of 5MB.

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:02 PM
  • If you have the log information of your .NET Framework installation, you can upload it somewhere on the web or send it to vssetuphelp@hotmail.com (with this thread link) I'll take a look at it to see what I can find helpful.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:51 AM
  • Hi Tom

I saw your vslogs.cab just now, it seems that it is unable to access some registry keys.

Were you running the installation using an Administrator account?

Please first ensure that you do have the permission to access the registry key display in dd_error_vs_procore_90.txt

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:57 AM
  • I'm trying to imagine how far that install process would have proceeded on a non-Administrator account... I wouldn't think very far.

Yes, I was using an Administrator account. Please give me a little credit for having a clue.

As mentioned in the original post, the one known issue on my side of the process was that Trend-Micro's PC-Cillin (anti-virus, and "suspicious software alarm system") was running at the start of the process, and as things proceeded slowly, I attempted to "help" by modifying its settings -- halting internet traffic, and stopping its antivirus/spyware function.

Subsequently, I've seen that the "suspicious software alarm system" does not have a shutoff pick in the systray icon's popup, and it continued to operate during the failed install.

Which brings me back to the question I posed at the top of this thread:
    What is the appropriate isolation / protection / system state to make this work?

If it's necessary to shut off antivirus (etc.) software, it needs to be possible to do this without a network connection, I think.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:57 PM
  • I highly suspect it is caused by antivirus software.

You can try to use Autoruns(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to help you disable the specific service or software (which produce interference with VS installation) running at system startup.

Thanks 

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:44 AM
  • Yes, we have the same suspicion. The Autoruns is an interesting sidebar, but being able to stop my antivirus software is not at issue. (I didn't, but if I'd known it was essential, I could have, without recourse to additional tools.)

Given the bits in hand (as I had them, on the disk handed out an Installfest), is it possible to carry out the installation without a network connection?

If not, we've reached an impasse. It is not acceptable to require a machine running a Windows operating system to be connected to the internet without anti-virus protection.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:10 AM
  •  Tom von Alten wrote:
    is it possible to carry out the installation without a network connection?

Yes.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:08 AM
  • This turned out to be a long, and very ugly story, with the final (non-)resolution described in the third thread I started on the subject.

The question I posed here -- What [all] needs to be removed at this point, in what order, and then what order should I attempt to reinstall things? -- never did get an explicit answer, and indeed, there may not be one. (The closest that's been suggested is
       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907965
    or steps 4 and 5 of
       http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/12/16/504906.aspx
    I did go through the KB process, but it's likely I didn't follow the directions well enough.)

You may well need to start completely over; I'm now convinced that complete reinstallation of the O/S is the best and most likely path to fixing this machine. Practically (and since it's not broken for anything outside Visual Studio), I may simply abandon it, and use a different machine instead.

That is one hell of an indictment of an out-of-control IDE infrastructure coming from Microsoft.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:44 PM
  • You say YES, but you don't say how - I ask: HOW?

Danette
    Monday, September 29, 2008 9:45 PM