none
Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

When making a method call to a SOAP WebService using a SoapHttpClientProtocol inherited class I'm getting a "Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream" error.  This is using a Windows Application using .NET 3.5 SP1 on Windows 7.  I can however connect to the problem site using IE11, Firefox and Chrome with no issues.

I've looked online and it appears to be some difference between how the server and the client (Windows 7) handles the negotiation of the SSL Protocol or Cipher to use.  The most common solution I have found was to disable TLS and force it to connect using SSL3.  However with everyone disabling SSL3 because of the POODLE vulnerability that fix is not working for me.

What I'm looking for is hopefully a solution to the issue, baring that I would be happy to get a description of exactly what's causing the issue. 

The software that's having this issue connects to various web servers implementing a set of common web services so fixing it for a specific server by installing a certificate is not a desirable solution.

Lastly I'll note that I found the following thread ( http://forums.iis.net/t/1217879.aspx?HTTP+POST+fails+after+SSL+3+0+is+disabled+by+GoDaddy+even+though+TLS+1+0+is+enabled ) talking about this same issue with someone using .NET 4.0; which seems to imply this is a known bug.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Todd Horrell

Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.

at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.CallProcessAuthentication(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)

Friday, November 14, 2014 7:31 PM

All replies

• For bug, you can post it to https://connect.microsoft.com
    Monday, November 17, 2014 5:49 AM
  • I see no way to create a bug against the .NET 3.5 Framework. The only .NET Framework options is .NET 4.5.2.

In addition I don't know if this is a bug in .NETor some standards incompatibility with certain implementations of SSL.

If you can point me to a better location to look for assistance it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:16 PM