none
Microsoft is the worst!! RRS feed

• General discussion

• one day I created an application using the latest technologies of microsoft (visual studio 2010 with SAP crystal reports , SQL server 2008 Express) and i thought that it is enough for this application to run at client side machine to setup .net framework 4 & SQL Express BUT....

I found that i must setup also the SAP crystal report runtime engine ,

To install SQL express 2008 you have to setup windows installer 4.5 which need to install windows installer 4 which needs windows installer 3.1 !!!

If I want to manage my databases I have to Install SQL server management studio 2008 which needs .net framework 3 sp1 that needs to download & setup it from the internet (approximately 55 MB & the client has a slow connection)!!!!

I forgot to say that when you try to install .net framework 4 you should install WIC first

why does not microsoft make as Java in her technologies??

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for your post.

First, as your example, to install SQL Server 2008 Express we have to setup .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Windows Installer 4.5. Actually, most of Windows OS contain Windows Installer. Could you please let me know which version of OS the client is? Moreover, if your OS have Windows Installer installed, you just update it to version 4.5. If you have any problems about Windows Installer of Windows OS, I recommend you have a look at this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer

Second, if you want to manage your database on the client, it is essential to install SQL server management studio 2008.

Third, as Windows Installer, WIC is a component of OS in many Windows OS. Whether you are required to install WIC is depend on which version of OS you are using. The Windows Imaging Component is included with Window 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Finally, if you think there is too much thing required to install, you can develop your program under .NET Framework 3.5 to avoid installing .NET Framework 4.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:54 AM
  • First off you are obviously trying to install newer software that uses the latest features of the .NET framework on an older OS. So you are absolutley going to have to install all of that to get the OS up to date just to install and run properly. It sounds like you are running XP SP1 or some old OS like that. Next time try updating the OS first with the latest Service Packs before attempting to install newer software.

I have recently installed VS2010, SAP, and Management Studio 2008 on Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 with only user error issues.

Also, have you attempted to install any Java IDE's and MySQL or some other RDBMS on Windows or Linux? In my own personal experience I've found that the Java technologies don't integrate together is easily as Microsoft technologies. Yes, Microsoft had some issues back in the day (and still have a few minor issues) but overall they have really gotten it together over the years and made some reliable and integrateable software packages.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Amen, brother!

Reading your comments about Java IDE's and MySQL jogged my memory of all the "fun" I had setting up classroom and lab computers for Java classes. I just resurrected the three page single space instruction sheet I had to prepare for my students so they could install the Java SDK, Eclipse, the JDBC drivers and MySQL on their computers to do their work :-(

In contrast, having C#, C++ and VB students install Visual Studio was a walk in the park!

Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:39 PM
  • @alexander sun

thank u for reply,

ok but i need microsoft to do as happened when java presents its jdk6 or jre6 all that you have to do is to install this package not more . all needs is one update not all amount of these software installation  

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:44 PM
  • @universalcoding

thank u for reply

i have not the ability to force the client to update his OS.

I was already using eclipse without any extra installation except jre & mysql setup.

I agree with you in "Yes, Microsoft had some issues back in the day (and still have a few minor issues)"  but not few issues but many!!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Ahmad,

Eclipse is not for .NET development. Why would Microsoft use Java to develop in a .NET language? That's like trying to use a hammer to loosen a screw.

As for not having the ability to force the client to update his OS, that just seems silly that a developer would be developing with the lastest IDE and .NET Framework on an ancient OS. I would personally force the matter.

It may suck for you to hear this but Microsoft products are built for Microsoft products and they all easily integrate with each other as long as everything is up to date. I will agree that sometimes this can be a tedious matter depending on what you are attempting to install together. Once you start trying to extend Eclipse to more advanced features available to it, for example Android Development, you will see that it is not so easy to do and not so easy to use after updating. And extending Visual Studio 2010 to Windows Mobile is not that difficult and easy to update with little to no issues after updating (in my own experiences).

However, this could be due to my own experience with Microsoft products and little experience with Java and Eclipse. I'm personally more comfortable with .NET technology than Java technology because of my own experiences, and anything I've done with Java development has not always gone smooth.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that every technology will have its qwerks.

You said, " but not few issues but many!!" For as broad as the Microsoft technologies are I would say they are doing a pretty good job over the last few years of reducing the amount of bugs and making their products more open to integration and extendability in the area of not only Software development but in their OS as well. Who would have thought years ago that Microsoft would provide free development resources and software.

That's just my two cents on the matter.

Chris "Is there anything besides programming?"
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:44 PM
  • @alexander sun

thank u for reply,

ok but i need microsoft to do as happened when java presents its jdk6 or jre6 all that you have to do is to install this package not more . all needs is one update not all amount of these software installation  

Think of the JRE and JDK as the .NET Framework and affiliated SDKs. Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 or 4.0 would go just as smoothly as installing the JDK or JRE. Think of Eclipse as Visual Studio. Some versions of Eclipse need specific versions of the JRE to run and when you complile projects in Eclipse you compile them against a targeted JDK. This would be like Visual Studio 2010 requiring .NET Framework 4.0 and when you complile a project you can target a specific .NET Framework (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0).

So installing a JRE or JDK can't really be compared to installing an IDE and associated software. One requires the other but they are not the same thing.

Chris "Is there anything besides programming?"
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:56 PM