Microsoft Windows GUIDs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, 

I have been looking for all the guids for Windows 7 and up (32 and 64bit) to use for filtering the wsusscn2.cab for appropiate files based on those OSes. I found this list: http://geekentry.eu/microsoft/windows-product-codes/.  It does not seem complete and fully accurate because I am not seeing any Windows 7 updates with the provided guid there, but when I use WUApi in a c++ project I have done on a Win7 VM it finds them.  Now the only reason I am even looking into this is because I could not find a way to check other OS updates while running the c++ project.  If there is a possible way to do that, I would rather do that since I wouldn't have to worry about parsing the data and it is already done.  Any insight and/or windows guids?

• Edited by xblackhand Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:03 AM
    • Moved by Weiwei Cai Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:20 AM more related to C++
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:02 AM

Answers

• Hi xblackhand,

thanks for posting here.

>>Is it possible to do this or is the API set up to not allow this?  

Have you tried to use IUpdateSearcher::Online property to TRUE? It will indicate the UpdateSearcher goes online to search for updates.

Or use IUpdateSearcher::ServerSelection property to indicate the server to search for updates.

Hope these could be help of you.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Friday, August 19, 2016 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hart Wang Friday, August 19, 2016 1:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:07 AM

All replies

• Hi xblackhand,

This forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

According to this description, you have found GUIDs of Win7 VM with c++ project. And you want to find another way to check other OS’s GUIDS with running this C++ project. Am I right?

If you want to implement this scenario in other method, please refer to the following link about how to find GUID:

http://elmaskubilay.blogspot.sg/2012/06/find-guid-globally-unique-identifier-of.html

If you want to check other OS updates with c++ project, I will find someone else who familiar with c++ to give a professional answer.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Oscar_Wu Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:43 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:39 AM
  • I have since found a GUID list for different Windows version, but I have not found an answer related to using the WUApi part of the question.  

In the WUApi for WSUS and WUA, there is a IUpdateSearcher::Search function that takes parameter to search based on.  However, I cannot find a way to tell the Search function to search other OS versions; It will only search for updates for the OS that the program is executed on.  Is it possible to do this or is the API set up to not allow this?  Thanks ahead of time for any information.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:28 PM
  • Hi xblackhand,

This forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.  Your issue may be related to C++ development. I will remove this thread to C++ forum for a professional answer.

Sincerely,

Oscarw

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Hi xblackhand,

thanks for posting here.

>>Is it possible to do this or is the API set up to not allow this?  

Have you tried to use IUpdateSearcher::Online property to TRUE? It will indicate the UpdateSearcher goes online to search for updates.

Or use IUpdateSearcher::ServerSelection property to indicate the server to search for updates.

Hope these could be help of you.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Friday, August 19, 2016 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hart Wang Friday, August 19, 2016 1:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:07 AM