MS Office 64 bit VBA Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF control RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VBA application running In Office 2010 (32 bit) under Windows 7 which successfully uses the Adobe Reader PDF Control to view PDF files.  The template is referenced to the Adobe Acrobat Browser Control and the AcroPDF object is available in the toolbox.

I have now migrated the VBA application to Office 2010 (64 bit) and although the template is still referenced to the Adobe Reader control, the AcroPDF object is not available in the toolbox.  Consequently the program will not compile.  In both cases Adobe Acrobat 9 is installed.

Does anyone know if the AcroPDF object is available for use with Office 2010 64 bit, or is there an alternative solution?

Thanks in anticipation

Peter Grainger

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:17 AM

Answers

• You can't run a 32-bit DLL out of a 64-bit application. If you are using Office in the 64-bit version you can only only 64-bit DLLs. 32-bit DLL can only be run in the WOW64, the 32-bit environment of Windows 7. But your Office is running outside and there is no way to get into this environment programmatically.
    As there is no 64-bit version of Acrobat you will not be able to use it in Office 64-bit version.

I heavily recommend to follow the recommendation of MS and install Office 2010 in the 32-bit version. You will run in other problems as soon as you are using the programming environment with API calls and other 3rd party ActiveX controls that aren't available in a 64-bit version.

There may be alternative solutions. Depending on what you are intend to do. If it's only to open a PDF file you could use Application.FollowHyperlink to open the PDF file with it's registered application. This one then can run in the 32-bit environment, but you can't interact with this one over it's object model.

There in the meantime are tons of other PDF readers out in the wild. I for myself prefer the Foxit PDF reader as it has a smaller footprint and is quite stable without the overhead and of the Acrobat reader. But it's also available in 32-bit only. Maybe they offer SDK or something similar to use it in the 64-bit environment.

Henry

"adx_king" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6e1753aa-b3c6-4a2e-9951-7d70a944e16b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have now migrated the VBA application to Office 2010 (64 bit) and
    although the template is still referenced to the Adobe Reader control, the
    AcroPDF object is not available in the toolbox.  Consequently the program
    will not compile.  In both cases Adobe Acrobat 9 is installed.
    Does anyone know if the AcroPDF object is available for use with Office
    2010 64 bit, or is there an alternative solution?

• Marked as answer by Peter Grainger Friday, September 21, 2012 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please check the location of the "Adobe Acrobat Browser Control Type Library 1.0"? As usual, it must under "C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX". Please check the location whether is valid.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, September 10, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Hi Tom

Thanks for your response.  I have confirmed that the Adobe dll is in the correct location.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Peter Grainger

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Hi Peter,

I never see this control on my side(Windows Server 2008 R2, Office 2010 64-bit). I can confirm that Adobe PDF Reader has been installed in that machine. However I can see this control under (Windows Server 2008 R2, Office 2010 32-bit). I'm feel very strange that you can see it. Are you sure have use Office 2010 64-bit?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Hi Tom

Thank you for your interest.  I can confirm that I am using Microsoft Office 2010 64bit.  The server is Windows Server 2008 R2 (Enterprise) with 64bit operating system.  The server is is being used a Terminal Server and the Microsoft Office software is configured and licenced for 5 users.

I was wondering whether I need to register the AcroPDF.dll, but I have not had to do this on this on other servers?  We use the Adobe Acrobat Browser successfully on other platforms with Office 2007 and Office 2010 32 bit.

Regards

Peter

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:43 AM
  • You can't run a 32-bit DLL out of a 64-bit application. If you are using Office in the 64-bit version you can only only 64-bit DLLs. 32-bit DLL can only be run in the WOW64, the 32-bit environment of Windows 7. But your Office is running outside and there is no way to get into this environment programmatically.
    As there is no 64-bit version of Acrobat you will not be able to use it in Office 64-bit version.

I heavily recommend to follow the recommendation of MS and install Office 2010 in the 32-bit version. You will run in other problems as soon as you are using the programming environment with API calls and other 3rd party ActiveX controls that aren't available in a 64-bit version.

There may be alternative solutions. Depending on what you are intend to do. If it's only to open a PDF file you could use Application.FollowHyperlink to open the PDF file with it's registered application. This one then can run in the 32-bit environment, but you can't interact with this one over it's object model.

There in the meantime are tons of other PDF readers out in the wild. I for myself prefer the Foxit PDF reader as it has a smaller footprint and is quite stable without the overhead and of the Acrobat reader. But it's also available in 32-bit only. Maybe they offer SDK or something similar to use it in the 64-bit environment.

Henry

"adx_king" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6e1753aa-b3c6-4a2e-9951-7d70a944e16b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have now migrated the VBA application to Office 2010 (64 bit) and
    although the template is still referenced to the Adobe Reader control, the
    AcroPDF object is not available in the toolbox.  Consequently the program
    will not compile.  In both cases Adobe Acrobat 9 is installed.
    Does anyone know if the AcroPDF object is available for use with Office
    2010 64 bit, or is there an alternative solution?

• Marked as answer by Peter Grainger Friday, September 21, 2012 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Hi Henry ... thank you for your response and advice.

I have been using the AcroPDF to enable me to display a PDF file in a VBA form.  I understand that I will now have to find an alternative method in the Office 64 bit environment.

Peter

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:02 AM