none
Difference between MS Access Database Engine 2010 and MS Access Database Engine 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

In my App i use multiple connection at same time. If i use MS Access Database Engine 2010 all connection working well but if i try use MS Access Database Engine 2016 connection to dtb some times fail.

Is there some limits for connections in MS Access Database Engine 2016 ?

Thx

BR
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:05 PM

All replies

• Please quote any error messages VERBATIM.

I am not aware of any connection limits as compared to 2010.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

If i use 2016 my connection some times fail, but with same code and 2010 all working well. Maybe some bug in 2016 ?

Single connection in 2016 working without problem, but if you use more connection in same time one or more connection fail...

Any idea ?

thx

RB

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 4:46 PM
  • When it fails, what error do you get.  If you can post a screenshot of the error dialog.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2019 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 5:01 PM
  • "System.InvalidOperationException: 'The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine.'"

only in 2016

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 5:32 PM
  • Probably a few more details are required here.

Is this some .net application?

Also, does the connection ever work?

Keep in mind that around 2013, and certainly for 2016, installing Access does NOT install a registered copy of ACE that external programs like vb.net etc. can use. As a result, installing the access 2016 run time (or full edition) does not install a exposed and registered copy of ACE.

if the connection works sometimes on a given machine, and sometimes not, then this would be strange. However, if it NEVER works on machines with 2016, then the above is your clear answer (you have to install ACE as a separate download despite having installed Access). 

So I would install the ACE database engine if your overall scenario is one in which you using something else then Access to consume accDB files.

However, leaving out this rather huge detail (that you using something other then Access UI to open + consume the database is a significant issue here. 

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Saturday, January 11, 2020 2:29 AM