Multiple backlogs for a single Team Project RRS feed

• Question

• We have created a Team Project for each product within our organization.    We have 6 Agile teams of 5-8 persons each working on our largest enterprise application.   We want each team to have its own prioritized list of work and therefor each team would need its own backlog, so to speak.

I presume that one way to do this is to create a root-level "Area" for each team and then when we manage the backlog each team can filter the user stories so they are only looking at their team's "Area"?  

I wanted to know if it is possible to actually have multiple backlogs within a single team project though.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:15 PM

Answers

• I assume that those 6 teams are in the same team project. It is very common to either use the area path for this, but you see also solutions where organizations add a team field to the work item.

In the next version of TFS, there is the notion of a team (see http://channel9.msdn.com/events/BUILD/BUILD2011/TOOL-793T). You will have a first class experience on backlogs etc. You can map a field in your work items to be used to detect to which team it belongs. By default this is the area path, but you can change that to any other string field.

Let me know if this answer your question.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    • Marked as answer by M. Buckleman Friday, January 27, 2012 4:28 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:29 PM

All replies

• What version of TFS are you talking about?
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:39 PM
  • I apologize for not including that.  We are using TFS 2010.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:06 PM
  • I assume that those 6 teams are in the same team project. It is very common to either use the area path for this, but you see also solutions where organizations add a team field to the work item.

In the next version of TFS, there is the notion of a team (see http://channel9.msdn.com/events/BUILD/BUILD2011/TOOL-793T). You will have a first class experience on backlogs etc. You can map a field in your work items to be used to detect to which team it belongs. By default this is the area path, but you can change that to any other string field.

Let me know if this answer your question.

• Marked as answer by M. Buckleman Friday, January 27, 2012 4:28 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Thanks!   We will go ahead and use the area path to manage this for now and we look forward to the next version making this easier.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 4:29 PM
  • I recommend that Iteration Path is used for release planning and organizing the backlog, and that Area Path is used for system architecture:

Iteration Path

The Iteration Path field in TFS will be used to organize releases and the backlogs.  This will provide you with the ability to get burndown charts at the iteration level by team as well as better manage the backlogs.  When work is chosen for an iteration, the Iteration Path field changes from the Team Backlog (or Product Backlog) to the iteration and team in which it is planned for.  This also makes it easy to share work across teams, as the Iteration Path is just changed from Backlog > Team 1 to Backlog > Team 2. 

Iterations > Year > Quarter > Release >Iteration# > Team

Iterations

Q1

R1

Team 1

Team 2

Backlog

Team 1

Team 2

Area Path

The Area Path will be used to organize system architecture, which will provide great visibility into the feature requests and bugs by component.  You “should” be able to configure TFS to automatically assign the Iteration Path based on the Area Path, which will keep the backlogs up-to-date.  This configuration will also allow you to easily track completed work and system functionality by component.  With the robust reporting capabilities, we could easily provide system functionality for sales or track cost by component.  This should also be useful for regression and automated testing. 

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:36 PM