none
[MS-OXCFXICS] Synchronization Flags for RopSynchronizationConfigure RRS feed

• Question

• [MS-OXCFXICS] Section 2.2.3.2.1.1.2 contains a table of flags (bitmap values) for the SynchronizationFlags field of RopSynchronizationConfigure.

Q1. There is an entry that looks like: "Reserved  0x1000 MUST be set to "0" when sending. The client MAY implement this flag.<11>". What is the intent behind the "MAY implement" wording, given the previous MUST requirement?

Q2. There are three flags that are omitted (0x0040, 0x0200, 0x0400). What should these be set to on send, and what (if anything) should the server interpret from these bits?

Brad

Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:01 AM

Answers

• Brad, I have completed my research.  The statement in section 2.2.3.2.1.1.2 regarding the Reserved flag, "The client MAY implement this flag" is incorrect and should be removed. The Reserved flag MUST be set to 0 because of the statement in section 3.2.5.5.1.1 that "The server MUST fail the ROP request if the SynchronizationFlag Reserved flag is set." I have filed a request to have that statement removed from section 2.2.3.2.1.1.2.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad,

Thank you for your question.  Someone from my team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Monday, December 20, 2010 6:02 AM
  • Brad, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Brad, regarding question 1, behavior note <11> states that "Office Outlook 2003, Office Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2010 do not implement the Reserved flag." I will file a request to get clarification about why this flag is required and yet Outlook 2003, 2007, and 2010 do not implement it.

Regarding question 2, since there is no information about the existence of those 3 flags, where are you seeing them? Over the wire? If yes, what is the client that is sedning them?

Monday, December 20, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Brad, I have completed my research.  The statement in section 2.2.3.2.1.1.2 regarding the Reserved flag, "The client MAY implement this flag" is incorrect and should be removed. The Reserved flag MUST be set to 0 because of the statement in section 3.2.5.5.1.1 that "The server MUST fail the ROP request if the SynchronizationFlag Reserved flag is set." I have filed a request to have that statement removed from section 2.2.3.2.1.1.2.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Josh,

Thanks for this.

Brad

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:33 PM