none
WinRT RRS feed

• Question

• Any news on when a version of the Kinect APIs will be available for consumption via WinRT?

Daren

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• not just yet, stay tuned
    • Marked as answer by Daren May Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:43 AM
  • If there is anything private available, I would be very interested. My team is creating a Kiosk application for an event on March 15th and we are intending to showcase Win 8, Metro and Kinect. Building a TCP bridge from the desktop .NET infrastructure across to the WinRT Metro environment is proving to be troublesome.

Daren

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Nothing private, if you want to contact me about what your project is, I can try and direct to the right contacts.
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Any updates on this?

I'd like to use Kinect on RT devices such as tablets and phones. At my organization we sketch thousands of structures per month. In the past few years we have manually sketched hundreds of thousands residential/commercial properties using CAD software. This is a very time consuming process since it requires laser finders, measuring tapes, not to mention the actual recording of information.

Moving forward we would like to use IR depth cameras for generating basic floor plans as a contractor walks through a home. While we would technically have the PCLs to generate 3d models, we only need 2d representations for each floor. We don't care about plumbing or electrical layers in the floor plans for our purposes, we only care about dimensions. So I think the Kinect for Windows can automate nearly 100% of the sketching process.

RT devices are obviously cheaper to purchase, and eventually the idea is to get rid of our tablets and move to phones. Even if the processing of the depth data needs to take place at a later point.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:44 PM
  •  

There is nothing further to report. The WinRT devices do not support desktop applications which would be a non-starter. Given the minimum requirements for Kinect for Windows SDK, I don't know an ARM based devices would meet the these to be effective.

As for Windows 8 Store based applications, this is a limitation of the platform that would prevent the use of the Kinect SDK in these applications. There have been some projects that demonstrate the exposure of the Kinect data through a web service and using the side loading mechanisms to access the data from the Windows Store based application. These would not be supported through the Windows Store, but something that can be employed as a isolated system under your control.

For the portability and power, there are many Windows 8 devices that have the similar form factor, but com with a x86/x64 processor. A native Kinect for Windows SDK desktop based application would run on the desktop without restriction. The only limiting factor is the processing power, access to external power and which-ever system specific resources your application needs. If you are using Kinect Fusion, then you will also have to have a DirectX 11 based GPU on the device. 

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Carmine. For ease of reading I will sum of my response in point form...

1. We are not too concerned about app store approval since this would only be used as a line of business app.

2. In regards to processing power an ARM device would be fine since post processing of depth frames is sufficient. However we do have several Windows 8 Pro Dell tablets in addition to our SurfaceRTs/Windows 8 Phones. I am fine with prototyping on Windows 8 Pro if we can expect RT support in the next 1-2 years.

3. For external power source I've found documentation online for outfitting a Kinect with 10xAA batteries which can operate a mobile Kinect for 4-8 hours. We have no intention of using this hack in a production scenario, but this is proof that a mobile counterpart should not be far off.

4. We expect significant leaps in CPU/GPU support on mobiles in the near future. We use Samsung ATIV S phones now, and to be quite honest it is the best phone I have ever used. Right now it is a dual core 1.5ghz Arm processor, but it's going to be quite a bit more powerful in the next few years.

I realize that this is a niche market at the moment, but there is real commercial value here. Since all of our programming departments exclusively use Microsoft platforms/technologies it would be more convenient for us to leverage Kinect over a different manufacturer. It is clear now that this is the direction we want to go in and now company budget/IT resources are being allocated for this purpose. The question we are trying to answer is should we use Microsoft or invest in a different depth sensor. Keep in mind we are not expecting to launch this specific tool next month, ideally we would like to have a solution being used in the field within 2 years. Having the option to participate in early betas would be beneficial as well.

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:05 PM