Error accessing MDS site RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone help me with this error:-

Server Error in '/' Application.

Connection string name 'defaultMdsConnection' was not found. Ensure a site name 'MDS1' and virtual path '' are specified in the <masterDataServices> section of the configuration file and that a valid connection string name is specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Connection string name 'defaultMdsConnection' was not found. Ensure a site name 'MDS1' and virtual path '' are specified in the <masterDataServices> section of the configuration file and that a valid connection string name is specified.

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
    [InvalidOperationException: Connection string name 'defaultMdsConnection' was not found. Ensure a site name 'MDS1' and virtual path '' are specified in the <masterDataServices> section of the configuration file and that a valid connection string name is specified.]
       Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Core.WebHostContext.GetConnectionString() +825
       Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Core.BusinessEntities.RequestContext.InitializeDatabaseContext() +81
       Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Core.BusinessEntities.RequestContext.InitializeRequestContext(HostContext hostContext) +95
       Microsoft.MasterDataServices.WebUI.ServiceAdapter.GetCurrentUser() +178
       Microsoft.MasterDataServices.WebUI.Common.Header.OnInit(EventArgs e) +294
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +133
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +421
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1970

Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Please examine the web configuration file in notepad (may have to run notepad as an elevated admin and do file > open)

Take a look and look for the symptom the error describes. In the file there should be a connection string to point to your SQL Server and the MDS database.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff487031.aspx

This was the folder on 2008. I don't remember if it moved on SQL 2012...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Master Data Services\WebApplication\web.config

Thx, Jason

Didn't get enough help here? Submit a case with the Microsoft Customer Support team for deeper investigation - http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Friday, June 22, 2012 8:53 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 4:34 AM

All replies

• did you go through the MDS Configuration successfully using the 'Master Data Services Configuration Manager' program? 
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Yes, I did. I get this when I try to access the site. This is SQL 2012. I am not sure if this is helpful but I used a domain service account on the MDS Application Pool and used the same account during the creation of the MDS database.
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Please examine the web configuration file in notepad (may have to run notepad as an elevated admin and do file > open)

Take a look and look for the symptom the error describes. In the file there should be a connection string to point to your SQL Server and the MDS database.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff487031.aspx

This was the folder on 2008. I don't remember if it moved on SQL 2012...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Master Data Services\WebApplication\web.config

Thx, Jason

Didn't get enough help here? Submit a case with the Microsoft Customer Support team for deeper investigation - http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Friday, June 22, 2012 8:53 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 4:34 AM