none
SQL Server 2016 Standard SP1 showing 4 cores online when Server has 8 Cores

Question

• Hello, 

We are running SQL Server 2016 Standard with SP1 and are running into an issue with it recognizing cores on the machine. 

Server Info:

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1) (KB3182545) - 13.0.4001.0 (X64)   Oct 28 2016 18:17:30   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor) 

Results from querying sys.dm_os_schedulers

select scheduler_id, cpu_id, status, is_online 
    from sys.dm_os_schedulers 
    where status = 'VISIBLE ONLINE'

scheduler_id cpu_id status is_online
    0 0 VISIBLE ONLINE 1
    1 1 VISIBLE ONLINE 1
    2 2 VISIBLE ONLINE 1
    3 3 VISIBLE ONLINE 1

The server has 8 cores available that I'd like to use. Any advice on how to correct the issue would be great. 

Thanks!

Eric 

Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

Firstly, for the doubt 'I'm thinking it has to be related to 2016 licensing changes', SQL Server Standard Edition has the limitation of 4 sockets since SQL Server 2012.

Secondly, according to your description 'Sockets 8 Virtual Processors 8', it has broken the limitation of SQL Server, as a result, you can only see the 4 cores related to the 4 sockets, please set 8 cores one socket if it is a 8 cores CPU or 4 cores two sockets for 4 cores CPU. For more information, please refer to this article.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 6, 2017 9:30 AM

All replies

• Can you run this and tell us what is returned?

EXEC xp_readerrorlog 0,1,N'cores'

Friday, January 6, 2017 12:48 AM
  • LogDate ProcessInfo Text
    2017-01-05 16:39:52.190 Server SQL Server detected 8 sockets with 1 cores per socket and 1 logical processors per socket, 8 total logical processors; using 4 logical processors based on SQL Server licensing. This is an informational message; no user action is required.

I'm completely open to getting whatever licensing i need just trying to get the extra cores

• Edited by Eric Brady Friday, January 6, 2017 12:52 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 12:52 AM
  • How many cores and sockets do you have? I think you are running into a limitation on the standard edition of cores per sockets/

Friday, January 6, 2017 1:09 AM
  • From

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

Standard is limited to Limited to lesser of 4 sockets or 24 cores.

You probably have 4 sockets with 2 cores per socket.

Can you reconfigure your VM for 1 socket with 8 cores? Or 2 sockets with 4 cores?

Friday, January 6, 2017 1:11 AM
  • Its a VMware VM with 8 CPU assigned. I have the same setup in a previous edition of SQL Server Standard and all 8 show as online. I'm thinking it has to be related to 2016 licensing changes. 
    Friday, January 6, 2017 1:13 AM
  • In task manager in the performance tab, in the cpu section, what are the sockets and cores displayed there. There was a licensing change in SQL 2016.
    Friday, January 6, 2017 1:16 AM
  • it shows

Sockets 8

Virtual Processors 8 

Friday, January 6, 2017 1:34 AM
  • I'll research into that and let you know.
    Friday, January 6, 2017 1:35 AM
  • How many cores - was this server an upgrade and if so, from what?
    Friday, January 6, 2017 1:48 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Firstly, for the doubt 'I'm thinking it has to be related to 2016 licensing changes', SQL Server Standard Edition has the limitation of 4 sockets since SQL Server 2012.

Secondly, according to your description 'Sockets 8 Virtual Processors 8', it has broken the limitation of SQL Server, as a result, you can only see the 4 cores related to the 4 sockets, please set 8 cores one socket if it is a 8 cores CPU or 4 cores two sockets for 4 cores CPU. For more information, please refer to this article.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 6, 2017 9:30 AM