SQL Login failed alert RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my environment i get alert mail of severity 20 when a Windows Login fails. But I'm not getting the alert when a SQL login fails. Is there anything i have to enable or i have to script a job. Advice me other that trigger.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:16 PM

Answers

• Is there any way to find, to which database the Login was trying to access when it getting failed?

Hi,

Depends on how you have configured your login to If login has a users mapped  to particular database, if it fails this means it was trying to access that database. If a login which has sysadmin rights it would connect by default to master( Unless you change it in SSMS)  and can access any database. I guess you are confusing user with login. Login basically allows you to login into database with particular set of privileges. Please refer to link I posted in first reply.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:10 AM
  • I have a Login which is mapped to more DBs and im getting Login failed error and also Login successfull also. How to track for which DB it is getting failed.

Ok please open SSMS and select the login you are using to connect and dont click connect to connect to database engine instead click on options and go to connection properties tab as below now check what database is mentioned in Connect to database. It should be master by default.

Also can you please post error message from errorlog so that we can know about reason for failure.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:24 AM

All replies

• Are you sure that you enabled SQL Server login ?

-Jens

Jens K. Suessmeyer http://blogs.msdn.com/Jenss

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

Right Click on SQL server instance select properties on server properties page that pops up select security in that you cna see section Login Auditing there are many radio buttons select Failed Login only you will get message in SQL Server errorlog regarding failed logins.

Now you can run below command in SSMS to get information about failed logins

EXEC sp_readerrorlog 0, 1, 'Login failed'  

Above is simple one

You can also refer to below

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2595/get-alerts-for-specific-sql-server-login-failed-events/

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:23 PM
  • yes, i have enabled it.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Is there any way to find, to which database the Login was trying to access when it getting failed?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:34 AM

Hi,

Depends on how you have configured your login to If login has a users mapped  to particular database, if it fails this means it was trying to access that database. If a login which has sysadmin rights it would connect by default to master( Unless you change it in SSMS)  and can access any database. I guess you are confusing user with login. Login basically allows you to login into database with particular set of privileges. Please refer to link I posted in first reply.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:10 AM
  • I have a Login which is mapped to more DBs and im getting Login failed error and also Login successfull also. How to track for which DB it is getting failed.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:13 AM

Ok please open SSMS and select the login you are using to connect and dont click connect to connect to database engine instead click on options and go to connection properties tab as below now check what database is mentioned in Connect to database. It should be master by default.

Also can you please post error message from errorlog so that we can know about reason for failure.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:24 AM
  • To check what database was being used when the login failed, you will need to use default trace as mentioned in the link below:-

http://www.eraofdata.com/the-sql-server-default-trace/

Or simply run the below query, if you have default trace enabled:-

SELECT  TE.name AS [EventName] ,
            v.subclass_name ,
            T.DatabaseName ,
            t.DatabaseID ,
            t.NTDomainName ,
            t.ApplicationName ,
            t.LoginName ,
            t.SPID ,
            t.StartTime ,
            t.SessionLoginName
    FROM    sys.fn_trace_gettable(CONVERT(VARCHAR(150), ( 
                    SELECT TOP 1
                    f.[value]
                    FROM    sys.fn_trace_getinfo(NULL) f
                    WHERE   f.property = 2)), DEFAULT) T
            JOIN sys.trace_events TE 
                    ON T.EaventClass = TE.trace_event_id
            JOIN sys.trace_subclass_values v 
                    ON v.trace_event_id = TE.trace_event_id
                    AND v.subclass_value = t.EventSubClass
    WHERE   te.name IN ( 'Audit Login Failed' )
    order by t.StartTime desc

Also, you mentioned that 'Alert For Severity 20' is triggered when there is a failed login for windows. However, it's not the case. Alert for Severity 14 is triggered on failed logins as far as i have seen. 

Severity Level 20: SQL Server Fatal Error in Current Process

These messages indicate that a statement has encountered a problem. Because the problem has affected only the current process, it is unlikely that the database itself has been damaged.

Reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa937483(v=sql.80).aspx

http://sqlrows.blogspot.in/2011/10/note-to-self.html

Please mark the answer as helpful if i have answered your query. Thanks and Regards, Kartar Rana

• Edited by Kartar Rana Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:47 PM Correction
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Hi Katar,

There is no need to post on multiple duplicate threads instead you should have asked OP not to create duplicate threads. You posted same reply on duplicate threads why waste your answers

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Thanks for your inputs shanky. Will keep an eye out.

Please mark the answer as helpful if i have answered your query. Thanks and Regards, Kartar Rana

Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:32 PM