Periodic Tile Notifications Design and troubleshooting RRS feed

• Question

• How do I troubleshoot issues with Periodic tile notifications?  I added the code and it looks right, but it does not work.  On the same topic, I wish that the API was split into two distinct tasks - background task (similar to WP 7) and Tile update API.  This design would lend itself much better to troubleshooting and ability to be more flexible in providing data for tile updates.

Thanks.

Sergey

Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:29 AM

All replies

• Can you put some code? To see how you do it.
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Very simple.

protected override void OnNavigatedTo(NavigationEventArgs e)

{
                PeriodicUpdateRecurrence recurrence = PeriodicUpdateRecurrence.HalfHour;
                System.Uri url = new Uri("http://XXXXX.cloudapp.net/MyService.svc/GetTile");
                TileUpdateManager.CreateTileUpdaterForApplication().StartPeriodicUpdate(url, recurrence);

}

My biggest gripe is not that it does not work, but the fact that the feature is total black box (as far as I can tell) and does not report errros or nature of those errors anywhere.  Hence, I would like to see this design changed in the future (my 2 cents anyway).

Thanks.

Sergey

Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply, holidays are sacred ;)

I agree, we are a bit left in the dark. There is a way to get some informations (at least for PUSH ones, but I guess for periodic also) using the event viewer. But it is not a nice and easy solution...

Olivier

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:08 PM