none
Lending Library Template + Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• So I was all excited about using the lending library template to manage a fleet of loan laptops.  The datasheet describes a situation where end users can check out items themselves and then turn up to the IT office to collect the equipment they've checked out, which sounded perfect - the checkout would be lodged against their AD credentials, eliminating the need for a paper trail.

In reality, however, the only way I've been able to get the 'check out' functionality to work is to give full edit access over the library to users. If I grant read access, they can only view the assets, not check them out. If I grant higher access, they can check the assets out to other users and edit the asset details!

Surely I'm missing something, but after half a day of rabid Googling and testing out various combinations of permissions I don't think I'll ever find it - and we're back to using a signature on a piece of paper. Lame.

Any help from the Sharepoint gurus out there will be rewarded with heaps of kudos.

-Mitch
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:13 AM Subject amended to retain question only
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:43 AM

All replies

• This kind of permission problem happens in other templates as well.

You may be able to get closer to a fully controlled environment using item level security.  I'm not familiar with that template.  I know you can go about 75% as far as you would want using that approach with the training template.

If you're willing / capable to do some coding, you could probably get very close by adding some event receivers or workflow.

Alerts could help you understand if people start making changes to assets.

--Paul Galvin of www.Conchango.com @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/PaulGalvinsSharepointSpace
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Hrm.

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyhow, Paul - I appreciate the feedback. I haven't the time for coding on top of all my ongoing projects so I'll have to leave the actual checking out of items to IT staff.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 12:48 AM