User questionary Application Design Question RRS feed

• Question

• User747927532 posted

Hi All,

I have application design questions. I am developing one website for college which asks user questions. And based on user's answer it will ask relevant question and will skip irrelevant questions. 

Example:

Q: Gender : Male/Female

A: FeMale

Q: Status: Married / Un Married

A: Married

Q: Tax Filing Status: Individual / Joint 

A. Joint

=> Enter the joint tax filer's name and address:

Name: ____________________

Address:  ____________________

Q: Do you have kids? : Yes / No

A: Yes

=> Please add all children details ( you can add one at a time) (Grid view and detail view - add, modify, delete - kind of functionality)

I have around 100+ questions and flow of application depends on user's answer. And depend upon user’s answer; I have to collect related data.

I am confused should I create control dynamically in asp.net web forms? or use MVC? I like ASP.NET MVC but I am beginner with it. I am good at web forms and so thinking to use it this time.

1)       Which technology will be better for this kind of application?

2)       What is the best practice to design such kind of application?

As per my experience, I am thinking to visible and hide question panels. But it is tedious and time consuming. Please suggest any better idea.

Thanks in advance,

SK

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• User-488622176 posted

Both technologies will work perfectly.

I have some doubts if working with hidden panels is a good way to go, as the next panel depends on the answer of the previous question (on the previous panel). Why not working in wizard mode? Each page displays one question, a next and back button. If the user pushes "next", the next question is loaded based upon the answer of the previous one.  A lot of enquiry systems work like this.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 4:53 AM
  • User459659623 posted

Whizard Mode might better than panel hide/show at runtime for this solution.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:05 AM
  • User71929859 posted

Hello,

As others has been saying, you could use asp.net Wizard contorl if you wish to develop it with web forms. Check the below post

http://weblogs.asp.net/sreejukg/archive/2012/01/21/walkthrough-wizard-control-in-asp-net.aspx

If you are going to develop it with MVC, check the below link

http://afana.me/post/create-wizard-in-aspnet-mvc-3.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 4:23 AM
  • User-257383369 posted

If you think the scope of the project could be big in the future , you better use MVC and TDD approach.

Monday, May 27, 2013 8:17 AM
  • User747927532 posted

The problem with MVC and TDD - my skill is beginner level with MVC. It will take long time to develop. I understand with MVC and TDD, I will get much more flexibility. But I don't have much time to learn, design and develop it.

As most of you, suggested Wizard. I will more likely to use Wizard control. I am also looking into multiview-view approach. Which one is better?

Thanks all for your reply. I appericiate everyone's help.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:29 AM
  • User-488622176 posted

The wizard panes will contain groups of controls. You can build a complex control for this, that is a bit generic (changes the options lists dynamically based upon the structure of the question). I doubt you'd need a real multiview control... Make one generic user control for a question, enabling to size dynamically, and put this in a wizard pane. Each next/previous in the wizard will fetch the new question, and refresh the "question control" with the data for the question.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:29 AM
  • User747927532 posted

Thanks Illeris. Most likely I will use wizard. But I won't fetch question dynamically, due to time constraint and very tight deadline. Lots of business rules are used to control the presentation. I have around 90+ page of document which contains 250+ questions. Based on business rule and user's answer, the new question will be asked, and it collects data if required. So I might use wizard/multiview and skip non relevant questions. 

Thank you all for your suggestion and input. I am still open for discussion to make this application better.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:47 PM
  • User747927532 posted

Thanks Nareshbct, MVC and TDD is better approach but due to tight deadline and nature of the application I think it is not feasible approach. Thanks for suggestion.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:49 PM