How to export 300k documents from library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey SharePoint Fam!

I have a document library that currently holds around 300k documents (60GB).  I am needing to get all these documents exported somehow but unsure what is the best route.  I could export the library and move it to a new content database with no problem but I am needing to get the data out of SharePoint into a fileshare now that the library is no longer needed but data still needs archived.  When I click the "open with explorer" option I just get a blank screen due to the library having so many documents I'm guessing so Im not able to just copy and paste. 

Thanks For Any Help

• Edited by 41global Wednesday, May 29, 2019 12:01 PM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 12:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi 41global.

You could either write and execute a PowerShell script (such as the one available at https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/harmeetw/2017/07/21/powershell-download-documentsfiles-from-sharepoint-onprem/) that will download all the documents to a local drive or a network share or use a third party tool like Sharegate.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Wednesday, May 29, 2019 4:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by 41global Friday, May 31, 2019 11:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 4:45 PM
  • Thanks Luigi.  Will try this out for sure.  Is it okay to run during business hours or could it slow things down pulling all 300k documents?? Thnx

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Thanks Luigi.  Will try this out for sure.  Is it okay to run during business hours or could it slow things down pulling all 300k documents?? Thnx

I would prefer doing it outside business hours, since a certain additional load will be put on the server where you'll execute the script; if you cannot do that, I would suggest you to notify the users of the ongoing operation and of the potential slowness they could experience.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:40 PM
  • Hi 41global,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:33 AM
  • Installed Sharegate and ran it overnight and it successfully downloaded all 300k documents to my local machine with no issues!  Thanks so much!
    Friday, May 31, 2019 11:12 AM
  • Installed Sharegate and ran it overnight and it successfully downloaded all 300k documents to my local machine with no issues!  Thanks so much!

You're welcome.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:42 PM