Microsoft Visual Studio freezing when working in Solution Explorer

Question

• I have issues with Visual Studio commonly freezing when making changes in Solution Explorer, including: removing projects, right clicking to change project settings, etc. I have a solution that has both a Javascript Metro project and a C# metro project. If I use task manager to kill Visual Studio then repeat the same operations, it usually works fine. Therefore, I think it may be an issue with the debugger not letting go of something.

Waiting indefinately doesn't make it unfreeze. If I click on Visual Studio, I get a message in the systray, something to the effect (paraphrased because the message is gone now) "Visual Studio is performing an internal operation. If this happens repeatedly, please report it to Microsoft."

Environment: VMWare 8 running on Windows 7 with 1GB ram dedicated to the virtual machine running Windows 8.

Edit:

1. Something else I noticed: When I try to click the close button or minimize button in the application menu bar, those buttons start flickering indefinitely.

2. Here's the full message:

"Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express Developer Preview

Microsoft Visual Studio 11 for Developer Preview is waiting for an internal operation to complete. If you regularly encounter this delay during normal usage, please report this problem to Microsoft."

Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:33 PM

All replies

• Thank you for posting your feedback. We want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program?

If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below: 

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:10 PM
  • This thread was created in the Windows Developer Preview: General OS forum; the Microsoft Moderation team has moved this thread to the MSDN - Tools for Metro style apps Forum.

Thanks

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Hello,

on the next freeze/hang situation, could you collect a dump file of the process vswinexpress.exe.  Go to task manager, details tab, right click on vswinexpress.exe, select "Create dump file".  The dump file will be large even after zipping so please email me at mikewong at microsoft.com and I will reply with an upload site on where to put the dump.  

much appreciated,

mike

Microsoft Developer Support

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:07 PM