none
Row Height Rendering Issue in WinForms Report Viewer 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We recently upgraded a WinForms application project from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2010.  As such, we also upgraded from the ReportViewer 9 control to the ReportViewer 10 control.  However, we found that the version 10 control has some display issues that the version 9 control does not.

Specifically, the version 10 control does not appear to handle automatic row sizing properly, causing CanGrow cells to appear as blank cells in the display, even though the row height appears tall enough to show the report text.  (Effectively, the entire report can appear blank with some text visible in few places.)  Print Layout view does show all of the data properly, however.  Reverting back to the version 9 control (still within VS 2010) resolves the problem, but then we lose the resizable multi-select drop downs offered by version 10, and, of course, the version 9 control cannot be opened in the form designer in VS 2010.

Is there a patch available to correct this issue?  Is there a configuration setting available to work around the issue?  We don't want to have to go into our many, many reports and manually resize each row to a minimum height that does not produce the problem.

Here's a weird inconsistency with this problem to add some confusion to the matter: The problem does not appear to occur when I test this against a report server running locally on my Windows 7 laptop (SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition, SP1), but does occur when I test this against various remote report servers (Windows Server 2008 R2, some with SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition, SP1, and some with SQL Server 2008 Standard [not R2]).

• Edited by HES Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:04 PM
    • Moved by Challen FuModerator Monday, October 3, 2011 6:43 AM (From:SQL Server Reporting Services)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:13 PM

Answers

• We revisited this issue and found the cause.  Several of the reports used the Arial Narrow font.  Arial Narrow is not included with the OS, but is instead included as a part of MS Office.  As such, it is not available on servers, since we do not install Office on them.  This did not pose a problem, previously, because the report would just be rendered using Arial Regular, instead, automatically.  The Visual Studio 2008 Report Viewer control responds correctly to this, but the Visual Studio 2010 Report Viewer control does not handle this situation very well.

However, revising the reports to use Arial instead of Arial Narrow resolved the problem.

• Marked as answer by HES Friday, September 28, 2012 12:51 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 12:51 AM

All replies

• Hi HES,

This is the issue of report control in Visual Studio, so I move it here to receive a more specific support. Thanks for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 3, 2011 6:45 AM
  • Hi Hes,

From what you describe, the problem sounds like it was fixed(or introduced) in a service pack or cumulative update release for SQL 2008 R2. Please try the latest release package and see if you can still reproduce the issue.

One other thing you can try to help isolate where the issue is would be to export to other formats(HTML would be best as it is soft page break like Winforms) and see if you still get the same behavior. If you do get the same behavior , then the bug would be in the SQL server code. If Winforms(GDI) is the only rendering extension to exhibit the behavior, then the bug would be in the Winforms report control.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the response, and I apologize for the delay in mine.

The problem only occurs with the WinForms (GDI) rendering, and only if the report server is not local (which really makes the issue strange). (Other rendering formats tested successfully.)  Again, the problem does not occur if the VS 2008 version of the control is used.

I have updated both Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server 2008 to their most up-to-date versions, as far as I can tell.  SQL Server 2008 R2 was upgraded to SP1.  I see that there is a CU9 available, but its version number is lower than that of SP1, so I'm hesitant to try to install that.

I re-installed the items for download from KB2549864 (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27231), but this had no impact.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Bradford (aka, HES)

• Edited by HES Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:47 PM Corrected typo: "GDI" was incorrectly typed as "GID"
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Bradford, did you ever get this issue sorted? 

Thanks,

Robert

Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Robert, no, this issue was not resolved.

Thanks,

Bradford

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:53 PM
  • We revisited this issue and found the cause.  Several of the reports used the Arial Narrow font.  Arial Narrow is not included with the OS, but is instead included as a part of MS Office.  As such, it is not available on servers, since we do not install Office on them.  This did not pose a problem, previously, because the report would just be rendered using Arial Regular, instead, automatically.  The Visual Studio 2008 Report Viewer control responds correctly to this, but the Visual Studio 2010 Report Viewer control does not handle this situation very well.

However, revising the reports to use Arial instead of Arial Narrow resolved the problem.

• Marked as answer by HES Friday, September 28, 2012 12:51 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 12:51 AM