Architecture for full text search on sql 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• How can I scale full text search on multipe machines?

How should I design the architecture of the system?

Monday, January 1, 2007 6:04 PM

All replies

• The primary way of scaling out something like FTS is by partitioning the data across multiple servers and then directing the query to the server where the data is stored.  You could also use replication to create multiple copies of the same data to scale out a single image of the data over more than one server.  The second option probably only makes sense if the update rate of the searched data is fairly low so that the extra overhead of replication doesn't cancel out the improved query performance of scaleout.

Before you start worrying about implementing a complex scaleout solution, make sure that you can't tune your current setup by changing text management and/or adding more hardware to your current server to get the performance you need.  Here are a couple articles that may be interesting.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsqlpro04/html/sp04f9.asp

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142560.aspx

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 1:23 AM
  • thanks for the feedback.

partitioning the data across multiple servers >>> how do I do that? Do I have to buy new sql licences?

You could also use replication to create multiple copies>>>> how does that help speed ?

why can't I tell sql server that go and use another computers hardrive and cpu ?

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 1:45 PM
  • Partitioning is splitting the data based on some attribute for example all US customers in one database, all Asia customers in another etc.  Yes, for any scaleout solution you will have to buy more licenses.  That's one of the reasons for exhausting your scaleup options before trying to scaleout.

Asfor your second question the short answer is it wasn't designed that way.  That's kind of like asking why you can't keep writing checks after your bank account is empty - everybody (except for bankers) agrees that would be a good thing but it daoesn't work that way.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 7:14 PM
  • thanks for the answers.

Yes, for any scaleout solution you will have to buy more licenses.>> we might turn into some free staff as the licences cost more than the hardware needed.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 1:01 AM