Unable to install WFF RRS feed

• Question

• User-1944408661 posted

I am working on installing WFF onto a number of machines and have been unable to get past adding the first server in a given farm.  I am running into many of the same issues identified in http://forums.iis.net/t/1171902.aspx, however uninstalling the Agent and running a repair does not fix anything.

Getting this error on multiple steps:

2010-10-20T13:36:18.1003142-04:00 Error WDC-Farm-03 WDC-ATSSVR-7 Server marked 'Unhealthy' due to failure to run operation 'AddServer' Microsoft.Web.Farm.WebFarmException: Failed to run method 'Microsoft.Web.Farm.GetInstalledProductsRemoteMethod' on server 'WDC-ATSSVR-7'.  Failed to run method 'Microsoft.Web.Farm.GetInstalledProductsRemoteMethod' on server 'WDC-ATSSVR-7'.  Exception in response stream.  The 'META' start tag on line 8 does not match the end tag of 'HEAD'. Line 10, position 3.  Exception in response stream.  The 'META' start tag on line 8 does not match the end tag of 'HEAD'. Line 10, position 3. ---> Microsoft.Web.Farm.WebFarmException: Failed to run method 'Microsoft.Web.Farm.GetInstalledProductsRemoteMethod' on server 'WDC-ATSSVR-7'.  Exception in response stream.  The 'META' start tag on line 8 does not match the end tag of 'HEAD'. Line 10, position 3. ---> Microsoft.Web.Farm.WebFarmException: Exception in response stream ---> System.Xml.XmlException: The 'META' start tag on line 8 does not match the end tag of 'HEAD'. Line 10, position 3.
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
       at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
       at Microsoft.Web.PlatformInstaller.LineInfoDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
       at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(TextReader txtReader)
       at Microsoft.Web.PlatformInstaller.ProductManager.LoadFromXml(TextReader xmlTextReader, Boolean loadEnclosures)
       at Microsoft.Web.PlatformInstaller.ProductManager.LoadFromXml(String xmlFile, Boolean loadEnclosures)
       at Microsoft.Web.PlatformInstaller.ProductManager.Load(Uri productFileUrl, Boolean filterByArchitectureAndOS, Boolean loadEnclosures, Boolean useCachedVersion, String cacheDirectory, Architecture architecture, Int32 majorOS, Int32 minorOS, Int32 majorSP, Int32 minorSP, Int32 osType)
       at Microsoft.Web.PlatformInstaller.ProductManager.Load(Uri productFileUrl, Boolean filterByArchitectureAndOS, Boolean loadEnclosures, Boolean useCachedVersion, String cacheDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Web.PlatformInstaller.ProductManager.Load(Uri productFileUrl, Boolean filterByArchitectureAndOS, Boolean loadEnclosures)
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.WebPlatformInstallerHelper.GetManager(String feedUrl)
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.WebPlatformInstallerHelper.GetPlatformProducts(String feedUrl, Boolean checkIfInstalled)
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.GetInstalledProductsRemoteMethod.RunRemote(ServerRemoteMethodContext methodContext, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.WebFarmAgentService.HandleRunMethod(HttpListenerContext context)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.RunRemoteAsyncResult.ResponseCompleteCallback(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.RunRemoteAsyncResult.EndRunRemote()
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.AgentContext.EndRunRemote(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.RunRemoteAsyncResult.RetryCompletionCallback(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.AddServerOperationProvider.SimpleAsyncResult.EndAddServer()
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.AddServerOperationProvider.EndRunOperation(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Web.Farm.RunOperationContext.FinalOperationCompleteCallback(IAsyncResult result)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:41 PM

All replies

• User-1464647883 posted
    Please refer to http://forums.iis.net/t/1171902.aspx for a workaround of this issue. Thanks.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:57 PM
  • User-1944408661 posted

Thank you, but I read that post, and I specifically mentioned in my post that it did not resolve my issue.  I would be happy to work through a webex to get this to work.

Thank you!

Friday, October 22, 2010 6:40 PM
  • User1624460637 posted

I ran into a similar issue today, 3 web servers - one is the controller and one primary and one secondary,

I managed to resolve the issue doing this, after trying the remedy mentioned earlier- that did not work for me either.

on the controller - create a farm

add the controller server as a primary server. 

add server 2 and server 3 as SECONDARY

pick server 2 or 3 and make that the primary.

remove the controller from the farm.

server 2 and 3 had the platform provisioned and applications as well 

you should be left with server 2 as primary , ready for load

and server 3 as secondary, ready for load.

- after that I have a arr machine setup with server 2 and 3 in the farm - things are working well. seeing some issues with failover but working through them hopefully :)

Good Luck

Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:47 AM
  • User-1944408661 posted

Thank you for the help despite it being a strange workaround.   Is there any clarity into when WFF will hit GA?  It's awfully buggy for even a Beta.

I'd welcome MS to help with the steps for a clean and successful install.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:30 AM
  • User134543942 posted

This worked for me for the most part, but still have two issues:

1. "Ready for Load Balancing" still shows "No".  What must I do to get Load Balancing/ARR to work?

2. Our Website, located on the Primary, was not copied to the Secondary.  Isn't it supposed to do this automatically?

Here's how it looks -

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/o6d542.jpg[/IMG]

Monday, December 13, 2010 8:54 PM