none
Code Analysis

Question

• I am a big believer and heavy user of static code analysis to ensure quality code without having to manually review everyone's work.

It looks like starting with ASP.NET Core Web Application projects in Visual Studio 2015 and now continuing into other project types in Visual Studio 2017 RC, there is no longer a static code analysis option.

Where I would once right-click on a project and select Properties and be able to select the Code Analysis page to set and configure my code analysis options, the Code Analysis page no longer exists for ASP.NET Core Web Application projects nor does it exist for what would appear to be additional project types in VS 2017 RC. I've tried a .NET Framework Class Library project and an ASP.NET Core Web Application and neither have any option for code analysis.

Is the Microsoft team no longer building in support for static code analysis in Visual Studio?  This would be very disappointing if true.

If code analysis is only supported on certain project types in VS 2017 RC, is there a reason why and is there a listing of the supported project types somewhere?

• Edited by mcgman Wednesday, December 28, 2016 12:14 AM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 11:52 PM

Answers

• Hi mcgman,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>It looks like starting with ASP.NET Core Web Application projects in Visual Studio 2015 and now continuing into other project types in Visual Studio 2017 RC, there is no longer a static code analysis option.

In VS 2015, for the .net core project templates like ASP.NET Core web application, Class Library (.NET Core) …, there is no the ‘Code Analysis’ tab in the Properties page like you found.

In VS 2017, what’s the other project types do you stands for? I checked some common project template (not the .net core type), the Code Analysis still can found in the properties page.

For the advice about the .NET Core projects has not the Code Analysis, you can report this user voice in UserVoice, share the link in here, if some community members who have the same idea can vote your suggestion, then we need to wait for the feedback from the VS product team engineers and thank you for your suggestion. Meanwhile, sorry for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by mcgman Monday, January 2, 2017 1:12 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi mcgman,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>It looks like starting with ASP.NET Core Web Application projects in Visual Studio 2015 and now continuing into other project types in Visual Studio 2017 RC, there is no longer a static code analysis option.

In VS 2015, for the .net core project templates like ASP.NET Core web application, Class Library (.NET Core) …, there is no the ‘Code Analysis’ tab in the Properties page like you found.

In VS 2017, what’s the other project types do you stands for? I checked some common project template (not the .net core type), the Code Analysis still can found in the properties page.

For the advice about the .NET Core projects has not the Code Analysis, you can report this user voice in UserVoice, share the link in here, if some community members who have the same idea can vote your suggestion, then we need to wait for the feedback from the VS product team engineers and thank you for your suggestion. Meanwhile, sorry for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by mcgman Monday, January 2, 2017 1:12 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:43 AM
  • As mentioned in the original post, the .NET Framework Class Library project is also missing support for code analysis.

I guess I will infer from your answer that any project templates in VS2017 that do not already support code analysis will not going forward.  That is a shame.

Monday, January 2, 2017 1:12 AM
  • Hi mcgman,

I already posted your requirement as the User Voice to the VS product team, please have a look at this: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/17603620-please-add-the-code-analysis-feature-for-the-ne and you can vote it, then we need to wait for the feedback from the VS product team engineers, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:34 AM