Needing some help RRS feed

• Question

• I'm diving into this and learning how to swim along the way.  I've got my server setup with Windows server 2008 64bit, a static IP address, and a cheap residential router.  This will be a multi server install, and I'm just trying to get the main server for web services and the portal setup.  (the mail and sql server will come here in the next couple of days)  I'm trying to install the WSP 1.1.0 on my server and have gotten to the web setting prompt.  The router hasn't been configured yet with my static IP settings yet since it is hooked into the switch that came from my ISP.  I'm using the router now because I don't yet have a firewall box and for obvious reasons dont want to leave my server exposed.  Should I go ahead and input all my static IP settings into the router for now and do I copy my static IP address into there as well?
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:28 PM

All replies

• Sorry if  double posting, as I got an error when I hit submit last time.

To clarify a bit, I plan on buying a better switch with firewall included to replace the router I currently am using.  Also, I have a total of four available servers to use.  The one I am working with now trying to set up is a Poweredge 6800 4 xeon 3.16 dual cores with 4 gigs ram and 4 73 gb hdds in RAID 5.  I can't remember the specs on the others off the top of my head, but I've got two almost identical Proliant dl380s and a poweredge 650.  I'm planning on using the porliants as sql and mail servers, as they offer hot swap drives.  The other PE650, as it has two 147 gb drives, I am thinking of using it as a back up server...  Would I be better of utilizing this in another way?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Hi John,

Welcome to WebsitePanel community! I am moving your thread to “WebsitePanel Discussions” forum as the one you have used to raise the configuration difficulties is intended for WebsitePanel product support rather than generic configuration enquiries.

Thank you for your understanding!

Please vote, if you find a post helpful! Appreciate.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:11 AM
  • Not a problem, thank you.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Hi John,

Until you have the external IPs setup, I wouldn't set them up with NAT.  (It is easy enough to do this later that it isn't needed.)

On the same note, it won't hurt anything to set them up that way.

Monday, February 7, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Are you planning on using any virtualization on each of the machines?  This is something we elected to do since we are new to WSP.  This would allow us to quickly re-allocated resources or move a server to another virtual server if our predicted usage changes.

Just our .02.

Monday, February 7, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Would I be better of utilizing this in another way?

Hi John,

The answer to the question will come to you with experience. I would not worry for now, because for the start up you have way too much "power". For the learning it is just enough VirtualBox with couple of VMs running.

P.S. http://www.windowsnetworking.com articles is very good resource to start with.

Regards, jegor.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:33 AM