Designer for edmx missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

yesterday I installed Visual Studio 2015. Now, I am missing the designer for the edmx file. On a double click on the edmx file the Visual Studio opens up the XML view. I wasn't able to find the designer tool (only the old Version for VS2013). With VS2013 there were no problems.

How can I use the designer with Visual Studio 2015? ... or is there no designer in this VS version??

I am using EF 6.1.3.

Marc

Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:31 PM

Answers

• >How can I use the designer with Visual Studio 2015? ... or is there no designer in this VS version??

The designer should be there and hasn't changed.  Try a different install, or a new project to troubleshoot.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Marked as answer by Fred Bao Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:29 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 8:09 PM

All replies

• Delete the item or project and recreate it.
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:00 PM
  • Thanks DA924,

but we spent a lot of time to create this model - add stored procedure mappings (Oracle), renaming, ...

So we would prefer another solution. Is the recreation really the only way?

The template for recreation is missing in VS 2015 :-(
    Friday, July 24, 2015 4:47 AM
  • Thanks DA924,

but we spent a lot of time to create this model - add stored procedure mappings (Oracle), renaming, ...

So we would prefer another solution. Is the recreation really the only way?

The template for recreation is missing in VS 2015 :-(
    Well, it is time for a hard reality check for you then, because I cannot even count how many times I have had to recreate ORM models over the years. :)
    Friday, July 24, 2015 2:56 PM
  • I cannot recreate the model without this function (VS2015).

Nevertheless, periodically recreations will hit one of the main advantages of the EF! In Addition this is not what I am expecting from a good OR mapper.

Based on this situation I think it would better to write the data access layer on our own. In the sum this is less work (our project is running for 3 years now incl. regular additions on the database objects) and the performance will be much better. OK, I will loose the ability to use Linq for selecting data - but this seems to be the price!

So, for new projects we will not use EF anymore. For the current, runnning project this is a big problem now (missing designer!!!) and will lead to a huge amount of additional work!

It's hard to understand the strategy. Why did MS remove this feature from Visual Studio?

Monday, July 27, 2015 3:53 PM
  • It's like anything else, I could not use the EF2DTO plugin in VS2013 that I could use in VS2010. So my workaround was to use VS2010 to created the objects and code needed and copied the code over to VS2013. It worked like a champ.

Based on this situation I think it would better to write the data access layer on our own. In the sum this is less work (our project is running for 3 years now incl. regular additions on the database objects) and the performance will be much better. OK, I will loose the ability to use Linq for selecting data - but this seems to be the price!

And why is EF not being used at the DAL level in the first place? If you would have done that and leave the EF entities behind at the DAL and used DTO(s), an abstraction away from the ORM, then you would not face the problems you are having. It would not matter what you used as the data access  in the DAL that could be easily swapped out, like going from EF to Nhibernate, Linq-2-SQL or even an in-house written object code generator.

You always have EF code first where you build the objects yourself. There is also nHibernate another ORM that is more mature than EF and maybe you need to look into it instead of you being in panic mode with hair on firer.

Monday, July 27, 2015 4:37 PM
  • >How can I use the designer with Visual Studio 2015? ... or is there no designer in this VS version??

The designer should be there and hasn't changed.  Try a different install, or a new project to troubleshoot.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Marked as answer by Fred Bao Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:29 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 8:09 PM
  • Hello David,

thanks - you saved my day!

A further reinstall of VS2015 solved the problem. Now, the designer is available and is working as expected.

Marc

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 6:26 AM