Dynamic help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Visual Studio.Net 2003 with service pack 1 installed on a laptop. MSDN is installed on the machine but whenever I try to get help it asks for the relevant MSDN CD. How do I get MSDN to register correctly with Visual Studio?

Many thanks
    Ray
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Ray,

Apologies for the late response.

From your description, it looks like only a Minimal install of the MSDN Library was done on your laptop. You need to do a Custom or Complete install, and you'll also need the MSDN Library CD/DVD to accomplish this. I'm using the latest MSDN December 2006 Library DVD for VS2005, and if I remember, the setup format is pretty much the same as for the VS2003 versions.

1. Insert the MSDN Library CD/DVD in to your CD/DVD media player and select Maintainence mode when the program dialog box shows.
    2. Click Next. In the next page, make sure the Modify radio button is selelcted.
    3. Click Next. This should produce the Custom Setup dialog box.
      1. If you want to do a Complete Install of the MSDN Library to your hard drive, then click on the Parent node of the product tree entitled MSDN Visual Studio Library.
      2. In the menu box that opens, click on This feature, and all sub features, will be installed on local hard drive.
      3. If you only want specific features of the Library on your hard drive (called a Custom Install), then go through the product tree and perform the same action as the one above for those products only.
    4. After you're finished selecting what you need, proceed through the remaining dialog boxes and then start the Install.

Hope this helps,

Frank

Monday, February 19, 2007 7:56 AM
  • Hello Ray,

If you have installed MSDN Library which comes with VS 2003 then it looks like you are using a feature called "Run from source".  In MSDN library for VS 2003 if you had performed minimum installation then you will need the media every time you will try to view a topic.  To change this experience you should perform "Full" installation.   Try uninstalling the library and then re-run setup by select "Full" installation type from "Installation Type" setup dialog box.

Thanks

Monday, February 26, 2007 7:33 AM