none
What is DACPAC? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to know what is dacpac? We are currently using visual studio 2012 and team foundation server 2010, and SQL server tool. In a solution file from DACPAC, a file of DACPAC is referenced, but its values are not defined in the source code .sql file. 

But i want to know what is DACPAC. What this file do. Its functionality. DACPAC dependencies and main functions for .sql source codes and how does it affect a solution file. And if we need to change something, what we have to change, and what where will be its related dependencies in the solution file and project where we have to upgrade anything.

Thanks

T.uday

• Moved by Cece Dong Monday, March 10, 2014 9:28 AM move to appropriate forum
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

BACPAC is a related artifact that encapsulates the database schema as well as the data stored in the database.

We can use SQL Server Data Tool database project to build the database into a DACPAC. And then deploy the DAC using SQL Server Management Studio to a test or production instance of SQL Server or Windows Azure SQL Database.

Reference:Data-tier Applications

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Uday,

Thanks for your post.

Since your question is related to SSDT, I'm going to move your case to SQL Server Tools forum for better response.

Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Hello,

BACPAC is a related artifact that encapsulates the database schema as well as the data stored in the database.

We can use SQL Server Data Tool database project to build the database into a DACPAC. And then deploy the DAC using SQL Server Management Studio to a test or production instance of SQL Server or Windows Azure SQL Database.

Reference:Data-tier Applications

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:47 AM