none
Powerpoint needs to be repaired issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a powerpoint file that needs to be repaired each time I try to open it. I have saved a copy of the repaired version and have tried to make the xml exactly the same however powerpoint still wants to repair it. The open XML validator reports no issues. Is there any way to see why powerpoint doesn't like a file? Does the formatting of the XML matter e.g carriage return? 

Many thanks,

Lakhvir

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Lakhvir,

How did you create this powerpoint file? Based on your previous thread, it seems you use Apache POI which is a third party product. Could your broken file be opened by Open XML SDK 2.5 Productivity Tool?

>> I have saved a copy of the repaired version and have tried to make the xml exactly the same however powerpoint still wants to repair it

Do you mean if you reopen the repaired version, it still needs to be repaired? If so, it seems your PowerPoint file is broken and could not be fixed by PowerPoint application.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Hello, thanks for your reply Edward.

The input file is generated using BIRT templating. When the input file is created it opens fine, however the binding process doesn't work as the files generated by BIRT seem to miss some information in the XML. Therefore I opened the BIRT input file in Powerpoint and re saved it. I have then tried to doctor the initial BIRT report pptx by comparing the XML and making changes according to how Powerpoint saved it. However even after changing it exactly the same as the Powerpoint repaired file, the doctored version of the input file requires repair. Both files validate fine in the productivity tool so unsure where to go next? Does that make sense?

Is there anything special I need to know about PPTX OpenXml? Do carriage returns etc in the schema matter? Is there no way of seeing what Powerpoint is trying to repair?

Many thanks,

Lakhvir

• Edited by LakhvirSingh14 Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:26 AM added name
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:25 AM
  • Hi Lakhvir,

>> however the binding process doesn't work as the files generated by BIRT seem to miss some information in the XML

Based on this, I think your issue is more related with BIRT binding process, and I would suggest you go to BIRT site for help. They are more familiar with it. This forum is used to discuss about Open XML SDK developing issue.

If you have any trouble to use Open XML SDK, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:36 AM