none
Cannot install VS 2017 and UWP tools: VCLibs Minimum error RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried several times now to complete installing VS 2017 RC (4?). I think this was because I installed the UWP 15025 Preview SDK before I installed VS 2017 (I thought I already installed it).

It fails every time with the following interruption:

I have tried every trick I know, including removing all the VS 2017 components manually, and cannot fix it.

Update:

After fixing this, I wanted to inserting some keywords for better SEO to help others find this post more easily

• Visual C++ 2017 x86 Minimum Runtime error
    • vc_minimumRuntime
    • VS 2017 RC Install Fail
    • Visual C++ 2015 v 3.5 x86 x64 Redistributable

Lance

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Lana,

After some investigation from the VS Team and using Collect.exe tool. The cause was a corrupt 2015 VC 3.5 Redist package cache.

The fix is as follows:

1- Download the 2015 VC Redist 3.5 packages from here

2 - Run each installer and perform a Repair

3 - Restart PC

At this point you can confirm it is fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the 2015 VC Redist packages you just repaired. If they successfully uninstall and reinstall, you're good to move forward and install VS 2017!

Thanks!

Lance W. McCarthy Windows Phone Developer

Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Lance,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For the first screenshot you offered about installing VC++ redistributables, I met similar issue as this one, the reason why is that system should be updated before installing vc_redist.exe.

Reason:
    A large portion of the C-runtime moved into the OS in Windows 10 (ucrtbase.dll) and is serviced just like any other OS DLL (e.g. kernel32.dll).
    In order to get the Windows 10 Universal CRT to earlier OSes, Windows Update packages were created to bring this OS component downlevel.  KB2999226 brings the Windows 10 RTM Universal CRT to downlevel platforms

Solution:

Some communities solved it successfully by Soman Dubey's workaround, you may take a refer and have a try with it:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31536606/while-installing-vc-redist-x64-exe-getting-error-failed-to-configure-per-machi

Install Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows from:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

For your second screenshot, these is warning information, in fact it won't affect your VS 2015 running normally, go to Control Panel to check if any newer version of VC++ Redist existed.

To uninstall the VS 2017 RC , you can try to directly remove those 2 folders:

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017 

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages,

then re-run the VS 2007 RC installer as administrator, it should display as a new installation.

Any problem persists, please feel free to tell me.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi Lana,

Thank you for your response, unfortunately your fix for the VCLibs isn't relevant as I'm already running the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview (10531). Notice it is looking for Visual C++ 2017 redistributable, there doesn't appear to be any place to download and install separately (yet).

Take a look at the paragraph under "UPDATE" in my post, I was able to fix the Visual C++ 2015 issue by removing it from my installed programs list and reinstalling them separately.

I am left with that new error installation log. do you have any suggestions on how I can get the 2017 VCLibs? The normal place to get the packages is here, but it's not listing the 2017 package because VS 2017 hasn't been released yet.

Thanks!

• Edited by Lance McCarthyMVP Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:13 PM added link to vclibs resource
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Hi Lance,

Sorry for my misunderstanding of your question before, and thank you for your update and solution about the first question.

You are correct, the VS 2017 Libs currently is not available on official website, but I checked and noticed that after my VS 2017 RC Community is installed successfully, The VC++ 2017 RC Redist packages  are existed well on my machine, you could see:

Could you have a try with re-install VS 2017 RC? the relevant Redist will be pre-installed within it.

Or as far as I know, the VS 2017 RTM will be released soon, Waiting for the RTM version is also a choice. And at that time, VS 2017 packages will list in the link you offered.

Besides, we’d love to hear from you! For problems, let us know via the Report a Problem option in the upper right corner, either from the installer or the Visual Studio IDE itself. Track your feedback on the Developer Community portal. For suggestions,  let us know through UserVoice.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Hi Lana,

After some investigation from the VS Team and using Collect.exe tool. The cause was a corrupt 2015 VC 3.5 Redist package cache.

The fix is as follows:

1- Download the 2015 VC Redist 3.5 packages from here

2 - Run each installer and perform a Repair

3 - Restart PC

At this point you can confirm it is fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the 2015 VC Redist packages you just repaired. If they successfully uninstall and reinstall, you're good to move forward and install VS 2017!

Thanks!

Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:27 PM
  • Hi Lauce,

Thank you very  much far sharing such a good solution and the effort you tried about solving this question.

You could mark your reply as answer so that other members who encountered similar issue could find your solution easier, I'm taking your answer as a note, in case other communities faced similar question.

Have a good day :)

Best Regards, 

MSDN Community Support

Friday, February 24, 2017 1:29 AM