SQL server 2000 can be run on windows server 2016 or not ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows server 2008 , running SQL server 2000 , and running very old application .

As windows server 2008 will be EOL soon , I will upgrade windows server to 2016 , if I keep the SQL server 2000 , as I not sure if the newer SQL server version compatible to the old application , therefore , I consider to keep SQL server 2000 version .

is it possible ?

thanks

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 10:14 AM

All replies

• No, it is not possible to run SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2016 (or 2019). 

Given you are 8 SQL Server versions behind the current RTM version (SQL Server 2019), upgrading to a supported SQL Server version is long overdue. Unfortunately, there is no direct upgrade path because you've waited so long.

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Proposed as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 10:41 AM
  • Hello Friend,

I see your situation is complicated.

I recommend that you make a virtual machine and migrate your DB to higher versions of Sql Server (express or Developer Edition) and check which one the application is working on.

Hopefully it works at the latest possible and you can work smoothly and benefit from the features of the latest versions.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 12:53 PM
  • thanks reply ,

the best way to upgrade is setup a new SQL 2016/2017 , and export data from existing SQL 2000 and import to it ?

thanks

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:44 AM
  • Hi patrick chan 701,

SQL Server 2000 is out of support for many years, so you can’t run SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2016.

In addition, if you want to migrate SQL Server 2000 to higher version, you must migrate SQL Server 2000 with SP4 to SQL 2005 SP4 or SQL 2008 SP2 or SQL 2008 R2 SP1, then make a second migration from SQL Server SQL 2005 SP4 or SQL 2008 SP2 or SQL 2008 R2 SP1 to higher version. You can only migrate by backup and restore method. For more details, please refer to this blog.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:57 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Hi patrick chan 701,

SQL Server 2000 is out of support for many years, so you can’t run SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2016.

In addition, if you want to migrate SQL Server 2000 to higher version, you must migrate SQL Server 2000 with SP4 to SQL 2005 SP4 or SQL 2008 SP2 or SQL 2008 R2 SP1, then make a second migration from SQL Server SQL 2005 SP4 or SQL 2008 SP2 or SQL 2008 R2 SP1 to higher version. You can only migrate by backup and restore method. For more details, please refer to this blog.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thanks reply ,

I have to follow the migration way ? I can't export data from SQL 2000 and import it to SQL 2016 ?

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Hi patrick chan 701,

>>I can't export data from SQL 2000 and import it to SQL 2016 ?

Yes, you can.

For more details, please refer to this similar thread and MS Doumentation.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support

Friday, November 8, 2019 9:13 AM