Localization And Database Tables RRS feed

• Question

• User339582107 posted

I have managed to localize my web site into several different languages. This is working ok.

I have many drop down lists on my web pages that are databound to the database. The user cannot change the data in these database tables. For example I have a table called SkillSets that delivers the following data to the Skills drop down list, which the user can select to complete their data input:

Academic Skills
    Artistic Skills
    Athletic Skills
    Business Skills
    Communication Skills
    Computer Skills
    Design Skills
    Management Skills
    Organisational Skills
    Other Skills
    Planning Skills

How do I localize this database table so when the user changes the language of the website from English to Spanish the data sent to the drop down list is also changed from English to Spanish.

Do I use a resource file for each database table or do I create a seperate database table for each required langauge?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:52 PM

Answers

• User-1976337891 posted

Hi FattMatt,

we had used the approach in which the table contains all the data with extra column language in table.

as per language selected we will fetch the corresponding data. it is being supported in sql.

data type to store multilingual data is NChar,NVarchar..

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:24 AM

All replies

• User-1976337891 posted

Hi FattMatt,

we had used the approach in which the table contains all the data with extra column language in table.

as per language selected we will fetch the corresponding data. it is being supported in sql.

data type to store multilingual data is NChar,NVarchar..

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:24 AM
  • User339582107 posted

Thanks

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:51 PM