none
Question about Kinect dev RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a game that requires motion tracking and am considering using the Kinect for this purpose. As I dig into the Kinect info I am not sure if it is even a viable tool. One thing that concerns me is whether the kinect is accurate and fast enough to produce good results in real time. I also can't find any indication that the Kinect will continue to be supported. If I do use the Kinect will I be starting with obsolete technology that is just going to be dumped?

Any advice is appreciated, I am new to this so I hope I'm in the right place.

Thanks

Friday, January 20, 2017 11:07 PM

Answers

• About accuracy: we've been working with kinectV2 for quite some time now, and we can say it's pretty accurate. About speed, in good conditions it delivers 30 frames per second, so you essentially receive the skeleton frame of the user in almost real time.

About the future of the Kinect:

We're all in the same boat and we can only speculate; last year we were promised an update to support UWP, but what we got is very dissapointing and limited, and it really gives us concerns about the future of Kinect, I would lie if I don't say we're looking for alternatives in case the kinect goes down.

On the other hand, this year we're seeing VR technology is getting a lot of attention, and in one way or another, VR needs some sort of unconstrained body tracking technology, so it may happen that thanks to that, the kinect might receive a new breath of life.

Vicente Penades

• Edited by Vicente Penades Monday, January 23, 2017 12:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by GM192 Monday, January 23, 2017 11:49 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2017 9:31 AM

All replies

• About accuracy: we've been working with kinectV2 for quite some time now, and we can say it's pretty accurate. About speed, in good conditions it delivers 30 frames per second, so you essentially receive the skeleton frame of the user in almost real time.

About the future of the Kinect:

We're all in the same boat and we can only speculate; last year we were promised an update to support UWP, but what we got is very dissapointing and limited, and it really gives us concerns about the future of Kinect, I would lie if I don't say we're looking for alternatives in case the kinect goes down.

On the other hand, this year we're seeing VR technology is getting a lot of attention, and in one way or another, VR needs some sort of unconstrained body tracking technology, so it may happen that thanks to that, the kinect might receive a new breath of life.

Vicente Penades

• Edited by Vicente Penades Monday, January 23, 2017 12:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by GM192 Monday, January 23, 2017 11:49 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

That makes me feel a bit better about the functionality.

Knowing that Kinect is at least accurate to a reasonable degree will allow me to start doing some testing.

I read once that the frame rate could be set, is it possible to force a higher frame rate?

Thanks

Saturday, January 21, 2017 9:22 PM
  • You cannot set the frame rate, the maximum is 30. What the kinectv2 does automatically is that if there's not enough bandwidth or the CPU is not powerful enough, it throttles down to 15fps

Vicente Penades

Sunday, January 22, 2017 8:50 AM
  • I see, that makes sense.

It looks like the best way for me to proceed is to use the Kinect for testing and hopefully find something to replace it with if the frame rate is to slow.

Thanks again for the reply.

Sunday, January 22, 2017 9:04 PM