sql 2008 mirroring failover time RRS feed

• Question

• i just want to know how much time it should take to a db to fail over and or if it is normal that my db takes 6 min to failover

i am asking because my sql teacher told me it is suppose to be instantly done and not after 6 min wich i find pretty fast anyway 

thank you for your help! my first use of mirroring on sql 2008

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi mrpickle89,

The failover time can vary according to the number of log records needed to roll forward, the tasks within these transactions, and the capacity of the secondary server to complete this process. So there is not a standard of time that how much seconds is reasonable, the answer should be depends. Please pay attention to Failover time section to estimate the failover time on your environment.

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by RamJaddu Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:20 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:42 AM
  • so far from what i read i dont understand why my system takes 6 min to failover the only thing is my db is 575gig

but no work load it is a test db so nobody is working on it and when i failover manually it takes 6 min from what i see it should be lot faster

maybe there is something i dont understand

two server same config

dell r510 2x E5630 proc 132gig ram two dell vault md 3000 md 1000

2 virtual drive raid 10 1.9 tb one for data one for log and 2 raid mirror for temp db

intel 4 port 1gig agregated on each server

windows server 2008 enterprise and sql 2008 enterprise

what happens is i failover manually and then the server goes in recovery mode then takes around 5 min to start syncing

that for both ways failing one or another

if anyone as a clue for me thx

• Edited by mrpickle89 Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:11 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:19 PM