none
Roadmap for installing SQL Server 2014/16, Bids, Data Tools, Visual Studio in correct order using correct install files

Question

• I have a clean machine and need to install SQL Server 2014 and 2016, Bids, Data Tools and Visual Studio 2013, 15, 17. I've googled this and found many responses saying it doesn't matter what order these are installed, but I've found many times that it does matter and it doesn't take much to cause irreversible corruption along the way. It would be most helpful if there was documentation outlining the best order to install all these various components.  It would also be helpful to say exactly which files to download.  I have also found that there can be different versions of all of these which has also caused problems.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:09 PM

All replies

• Install and patch SQL Server 2014 engine components and exclude SSMS and management tools from the install.  Then install SQL Server 2016 and patch the engine components.  Then download the latest version of SSMS for 2016 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms) and install that, it will work for both 2014 and 2016 engines and features.  I only use the latest SSMS on any of my VM's as well as the latest SSDT (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt) for all versions of SQL Server I work with. 

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:24 PM
  • Thanks Johnathan. 

Will Bids 2016 work for reports being deployed to SSRS 2014?

and in what order should I install Bids 2014 and or 2016, and SSDT?

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:29 PM
  • SSDT 2016 will work for both versions of SSRS you just have to set the target deployment version in the project to the correct version. You don't need multiple versions of the tools anymore which simplifies this configuration.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:04 PM
  • Hi Moondaddy,

>>I have a clean machine and need to install SQL Server 2014 and 2016, Bids, Data Tools and Visual Studio 2013, 15, 17.

There is no specific order for SQL Server installation, but you should install SQL Server 2014 first to avoid potential issue. For example, you might encounter strange issue when using Powershell job steps if you install SQL Server 2016 first.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:13 AM