MF_E_CANNOT_CREATE_SINK RRS feed

• Question

• I got an error when running the sample program MF_BasicPlayback. In this code statement:

hr = pEvent->GetStatus(&hrStatus);

I got hrStatus == MF_E_CANNOT_CREATE_SINK. In Mferror.h, I see the comment:

// MessageId: MF_E_CANNOT_CREATE_SINK
    // MessageText:
    // Activate failed to create mediasink. Call OutputNode::GetUINT32(MF_TOPONODE_MAJORTYPE) for more information. %0

It looks like that there's something wrong with the renderer. Does anyone one how to solve this problem? Thanks.

P.S. My VGA card is NVidia GeForce 6200, and the driver version is 7.15.10.9739 ( Date 2006/11/27 ).

Thursday, December 7, 2006 8:52 AM

Answers

• I'm finding out.  Meanwhile, if you feel like it, try disabling the Desktop Window Manager service (directions below) and see if that makes any difference.  It's a shot in the dark, but sometimes it helps.

Disabling Desktop Window Manager:

• Start --> Run... and type services.msc
    • You'll get a User Account Control prompt, allow it.
    • Double-click on "Desktop Window Manager"
    • Click "Stop"

Friday, December 8, 2006 3:32 PM

All replies

• Sorry, I fogot to mention that the media clip is a WMV file. For WMA file playback, it works fine. I can also play WMV without problems on some Laptop PCs which have Vista pre-installed.

Is there any limitation about the video card or driver? For example, maybe I need GeForce 7xxx to work with MF.

Thursday, December 7, 2006 9:40 AM
  • Finally, this issue is gone after I use GeFore 7300 VGA card. But I'm still wondering if there's a table that lists capable VGA cards/drivers.
    Thursday, December 7, 2006 10:08 AM
  • I'm finding out.  Meanwhile, if you feel like it, try disabling the Desktop Window Manager service (directions below) and see if that makes any difference.  It's a shot in the dark, but sometimes it helps.

Disabling Desktop Window Manager:

• Start --> Run... and type services.msc
    • You'll get a User Account Control prompt, allow it.
    • Double-click on "Desktop Window Manager"
    • Click "Stop"

Friday, December 8, 2006 3:32 PM