Okay to avoid respecting the top and left margin guidelines in the layout grid?

Question

• The margin guidelines (UX Guidelines) request a 100 pixel margin from the top and a 120 pixel margin from the left. 

In my app I'm happy to do that for the main page that the user doesn't stay on for long, but the main screen where work gets done would ideally be essentially three vertical panes that fill up nearly the whole screen with related content in each section.  Having 120 px wasted on the left would significantly impair the ability for the user to see everything on one screen and avoid a more clunky layout.

Is it okay to avoid these guidelines for apps where it makes sense, or are these hard certification requirements in apps that don't have something like a map that's full screen (i.e. when there are separate parts of the screen with related information)?

I noticed OneNote MX seems to do something similar in not respecting the left margin at least, but most apps seem to.  For example Kindle does in picking a book to read but then not when the book itself is full screen.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:01 PM

Answers

• Are only Guidelines. For example,  the calendar application don´t have that spaces. You only need to focus if something don´t follow the certification requirements.

See:

Windows 8 app certification requirements

Sara Silva

• Marked as answer by e22pii Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:33 PM