SQL Server 2014 re-installation errors: "An error occurred for a dependency of the feature" and "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress". RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm facing an SQL Server setup errors.

• Cause of feature error:
      An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.

• Error details:
      $ Installing error for SQL Server set up file
      Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
      error code: 997

I googled and find some articles saying that "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress." error causes from KB2918614. However the KB is not installed on my machine.

Could someone please tell me where this error comes from?

Thank you in advance.
    Saki

Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please disable any antivirus/security software while installing SQL Server. Run SQL Server setup with the “Run as Administrator” option.

Make sure you are not logged in with a temporary Windows profile.

To know more about this error, please open the Summary.txt log file created by SQL Server setup. The following article may help you locate the file on disk.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.120).aspx

The Summary.txt log file will provide you the location of the SqlSupport_Cpu64_1.log  file. Please share the content of the SqlSupport_Cpu64_1.log file with us.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hello Alberto,

I apologize for my delayed response.

Any antivirus/security software is not installed on the machine because I'm using a test topology.
    I also verified running setup.exe as Administrator, and logging in with local administrator account.

In fact, the error is cleared when applying the previous snapshot and attempting to run an install wizard again.

Your information for log files location is very helpful for me, the issue was resolved automatically as a result though.

Regards,
    Saki

Monday, August 29, 2016 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please disable any antivirus/security software while installing SQL Server. Run SQL Server setup with the “Run as Administrator” option.

Make sure you are not logged in with a temporary Windows profile.

To know more about this error, please open the Summary.txt log file created by SQL Server setup. The following article may help you locate the file on disk.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.120).aspx

The Summary.txt log file will provide you the location of the SqlSupport_Cpu64_1.log  file. Please share the content of the SqlSupport_Cpu64_1.log file with us.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hello Alberto,

I apologize for my delayed response.

Any antivirus/security software is not installed on the machine because I'm using a test topology.
    I also verified running setup.exe as Administrator, and logging in with local administrator account.

In fact, the error is cleared when applying the previous snapshot and attempting to run an install wizard again.

Your information for log files location is very helpful for me, the issue was resolved automatically as a result though.

Regards,
    Saki

Monday, August 29, 2016 6:27 AM