IIS7 and Classic ASP, error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005' when calling "CreateObject" RRS feed

• Question

• User-1514704851 posted

I have Windows Server 2008 Web 64-bit. I am running IIS7. I am trying to run a 32-bit dll as a COM+ application, but I keep getting the error:

Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005'
    Server.CreateObject Access Error
    /Andrea_testzip.asp, line 15
    The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object.

I am following some very thorough directions, but I don't know why I'm still having trouble. Here are the directions:
    http://www.chestysoft.com/component-services.asp

Their FAQ says:

2. Server object error 'ASP 0178 : 80070005' Server.CreateObject Access Error
    The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions.
    Access is denied to this object.

The Internet Guest User Account (IUSR_machine_name) does not have adequate permissions on the component DLL. Set the permission on the file to include Read and Execute.

I even checked everything in this post on your forums:
    http://forums.iis.net/t/1146996.aspx

I put the DLL in a folder in Documents. I created a COM+ application like the directions suggest that points to that dll. When I set it up I chose an empty application and made it a server app (not a library app). I added the IUSR in for Creator/Owner under Roles for that COM+. I have "Enforce Access Checks" unchecked. There are two Components. On each I made sure "Allow IIS intrinsic properties" is checked. I have given the IUSR_account Modify permission on the DLL in Documents, Modify permission on the folder it is reading from and Modify permission on the folder it is writing to. (Modify includes read & execute.)

I restart IIS every time I make a change in the Component Services.

I tried doing a new COM+ application and moving the DLL to a folder above httpdocs, but that didn't help either.

So I'm not sure how I still missed permissions... ???

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrea

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:21 AM

Answers

• User-1514704851 posted

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for all your help. I have it working now.

Since the IUSR and IIS_User users weren't working and I kept getting the permission error, I made sure the group "Users" had read/execute permission on the DLL and that did it.

Best wishes,
    Andrea

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:31 PM

All replies

• User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

Question could you post some more information on

the Web Server Layout?

Question you posted the name "httpdocs" is the server layout on "Apache" on "windows","Linux"?

Question could you turn on "Failed Request Tracing" and enable it.

Could you post the logs from the tracing,server logs that have more details on the issues?

Could you recheck that the "IUSR","IIS_USERS","IUSR_MACHINE" accounts exist and have Read,Execute,List permissions?

Could you check the "Application Pool" settings for the IIS Server and post what settings your using?

Post errors,answers & questions to this thread.

Martin :)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:32 AM
  • User-1514704851 posted

Question could you post some more information on the Web Server Layout? Question you posted the name "httpdocs" is the server layout on "Apache" on "windows","Linux"?

I am running Plesk 9.5 on the windows machine. I think that's why it created that file structure like that.

I think there is a firewall and a web app firewall. I don't know if that matters. I have to VPN in and use Remote Desktop to edit the server settings and view my ASP errors.

Question could you turn on "Failed Request Tracing" and enable it. Could you post the logs from the tracing,server logs that have more details on the issues?

How much do you need? The file was 39MB.

ASP_LOG_ERROR
    LineNumber 15
    ErrorCode ASP 0178 : 80070005
    Description Server.CreateObject Access Error

MODULE_SET_RESPONSE_ERROR_STATUS
    ModuleName IsapiModule
    Notification 128
    HttpStatus 500
    HttpReason Internal Server Error
    HttpSubStatus 0
    ErrorCode 0
    ConfigExceptionInfo
    Notification EXECUTE_REQUEST_HANDLER
    ErrorCode The operation completed successfully. (0x0)

Could you recheck that the "IUSR","IIS_USERS","IUSR_MACHINE" accounts exist and have Read,Execute,List permissions?

Done.

Could you check the "Application Pool" settings for the IIS Server and post what settings your using?

It didn't say anything about creating an application pool in their directions, so I didn't. I have been poking around in there to see if I needed to do something there, but it is pretty much just empty/default right now.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Best wishes,

Andrea

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:04 PM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

You do not need to post the large log file.

You do need to allow an exception for the firewall to prevent

blocking the application.

Based on the current error you need

to focus on line 15 in your code.

If you post the related code it might help.

If the line 15 is accessing connections,connectors you need to have exception rules

in the firewall and in the plesk control panel..

You do need an "Application Pool" created and set for the application to run.

The "Application Pool" created needs to have permissions via "IUSR","IIS_USERS" and rights level "Execute",Read,"List"

to any folders or resources used by the "Application Pool".

A "human" description for Object use:

The Task is create and use an Object.

Provide a "Key","Access" to "Allow" a "Task" to be "Done" the "Task"

requires "Access","Actions" the "Resouces are needed to do the "Task"

with "Limits" to

perform a "Task".

You may know this description but it is usefull to use a check lst to verify that things will work.

Post errors & questions to this thread.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:42 PM
  • User-1514704851 posted

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for all your help. I have it working now.

Since the IUSR and IIS_User users weren't working and I kept getting the permission error, I made sure the group "Users" had read/execute permission on the DLL and that did it.

Best wishes,
    Andrea

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:31 PM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

I happy to help.

I am glad you got it fixed.

If this resolved the issues could you mark this answered.

LOL

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:39 PM