none
Add joints to body RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an easy way to add to the joints being tracked by Kinect for Windows v2 SDK? From what I can tell, it looks like the number of joints are fixed at 25 by a dll file.

I am developing a new application for the Kinect that can benefit from tracking more joints. Does Microsoft have business development support for modifying the basic library in this way?  I am hoping that Microsoft has a group that will share special builds of Kinect for Windows SDK that have additional joints.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The Kinect v2 SDK's body tracking supports a fixed set of joints.  If you are interested in tracking additional joints, you will need to implement your own body tracking system using the depth and/or body index frames.

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 11:04 PM
  • I am trying to estimate how much work that would be. Is there anything off-the-shelf to build such a system? Are there any examples or application notes?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 11:09 PM
  • To be as accurate as the existing Kinect SDK body tracking system it would be a significant amount of work. 

Depending on the additions you are interested in making, there may be an off-the-shelf solution. For example, there is at least one finger tracking system that has been released.  I have heard of, but have no experience with Aiolos from Metrilus.

Thanks,

David

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 11:57 PM
  • You need to re-implement this: http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/145347/BodyPartRecognition.pdf

Think twice.

Friday, July 17, 2015 3:47 AM
  • This answers my question. Thanks for finding that paper. Looks like a huge effort. I have other things I need to do :-)
    Friday, July 17, 2015 9:47 PM