VS11 Graphics Debugging In C# ??? RRS feed

• Question

• The new Graphics Debugging features look great with C++ apps. 

Can I use it when debugging a C# application that calls out to a C++ binding to DX11.1 (aka SharpDX)?

Can I expect this feature in VS11 final?

Thanks!

• Edited by Tom Spilman Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:07 AM

Answers

• I heard from a VS developer that Graphics Debugging will be accessible as well for C# in final or Release Preview, I don't know which one.

Though current Graphics Debugging is pretty rudimentary, you can still use it on a C# application by creating an empty C++ project:

• Go to your C++ Project Properties/Configuration Properties/Debugging
    • Change the Command/Arguments/Path to target your C# exe
    • Select Debugging Type to GPU Only

Alexandre Mutel - SharpDX - NShader - Code4k

• Marked as answer by Tom Spilman Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:49 PM

All replies

• I heard from a VS developer that Graphics Debugging will be accessible as well for C# in final or Release Preview, I don't know which one.

Though current Graphics Debugging is pretty rudimentary, you can still use it on a C# application by creating an empty C++ project:

• Go to your C++ Project Properties/Configuration Properties/Debugging
    • Change the Command/Arguments/Path to target your C# exe
    • Select Debugging Type to GPU Only

Alexandre Mutel - SharpDX - NShader - Code4k

• Marked as answer by Tom Spilman Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Thanks Alexandre.

Well its good to hear it will be supported.  I assume this will hold true for Metro C# apps as well?

I tried to use the C++ launch technique for a Metro C# app, but of course launching a metro app is tricky...  so far i've not been able to figure out how to do that correctly and get any sort of debugging.  Even tried to use a "launcher app" like described here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/8d1b0861-5903-4289-8cb8-541ddaa012fb

… still no luck.  I suspect there is a trick to initializing DX11 in the correct state to be GPU debugged.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:08 PM