none
Page Layout Scaling Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created an excel spreadsheet which creates labels, it functions very well. The only issue I have encountered is when trying to use the file on different computers. The format changes...... It is critical that excel is used because the file relies on many formulas to control the entries in specific cells. 

I have found the screens DPI has a very large effect. I can replicate the results found on other machines by matching the DPI used on that specific computer.

File was created on a 4k screen running at 175% scaling (168 DPI). When opened on a computer 1600x900 100% the page layout is roughly .5" too short. The 4k screen is nearly impossible to use at 100% as everything is microscopic....however for debugging purposes I have changed my screen to 100% (96 DPI) the files behavior is exactly replicated as other machines which the file is roughly .5" too short. The file is designed in inches using the page layout view and each line has a specific height........ I am not sure if there is some type of vba work around that can be implemented? 

The label sheet uses 20 (1"X4" Labels) It is critical everything prints correctly. This file needs to be able to print consistently on different computers as it is not acceptable for professional use.

This issue seems to be related to a bug in how microsoft excel calculates inch height in page layout. It works perfectly at 175% (168 DPI). On the same computer at 100% (96 DPI) it ends up about .5" too short and at 350% (Not sure what DPI this is) the file ends up roughly .4" too long.....

The must be something that can be done to fix this issue. I have tried many settings with no luck 

• Moved by Stanly Fan Monday, August 6, 2018 7:20 AM Excel related
    Monday, August 6, 2018 3:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Nick,

According to your description, your issue is more related about Excel development, And this forum is discussing and asking questions about the Windows Form and ClickOnce. I will move this thread to corresponding forum: Excel for Developers Forum for dedicated information.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 6, 2018 7:19 AM
  • Hello Nick_Aes,

To be honestly, I feel confused what's your current result now. You have a workbook deigned in 175% scaling and while you change to 100% scaling, and you think the control shrink too small than it should be? What's the 0.5"? Do you mean the 0.5 inch? How do you get the inch size? The size in the screen?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:14 AM
  • Hello Terry,

This is correct the layout was designed at 175% on a 15.6" screen (3840x2160 resolution)

Other computers are generally at 100% as they are not Hi-Dpi screens.

For debugging purposes I have run at 100% in which I have successfully replicated the issues experienced on other computers.

The label sheet has labels which are 1" Tall x 4" Wide (20 Per Sheet). When opened at 100% the document is roughly .4"-.5" shorter than it should be in the print preview. It is not a bug in the print preview as when it is printed it prints exactly as shown on the print preview. the odd thing is the cell heights and widths are almost identical.....this leads me to think there is a slight bug in how the cell size is calculated in page layout mode in which dpi is not properly accounted for. At 175% the left side ruler lines up correctly. At 100% the sum of all the cell heights does not match the ruler.

Essentially the same file opened on the same computer opened at 2 different dpi settings creates different results. Also we should not that the width is maintained fairly well the height on the other hand not so much.   

Monday, August 13, 2018 12:36 AM