Smartphone Cab will not build RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VS 2008 on Vista.  I am trying to build a smartphone ap for deployment.  I am following the walkthrough step by step.  When I click Build SmartPhoneCab it says, "Error: CAB file "D:\Bruce\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\SmartDeviceProject3\SmartDeviceCab1\Debug\SmartDeviceCab1.CAB" could not be created"

I have uninstalled VS and reinstalled it with minimal apps running and mcafee turned off.  I still get the same error.  It does not tell me why it could not be created.  Please help!

Bruce..
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:27 PM

Answers

• One of the things that has always frustrated me with Microsoft is the convention of using spaces in folder names and file names.  One of the reasons this is a point of frustration is that when you do this you often have to remember to include quotes when you reference the file in a command line.  And yes, I do still often go back to a command line - the habits of one who started with dos 3 and drdos.  I am and always will be a fan of CamelCaps, but I also get tired of removing spaces so over the years I have gotten lazy and allowed Microsoft Applications to install using the default naming conventions. 

This presents a problem with cabwiz.  Apparently, cabwiz will sometimes fail when paths have spaces in the folder names.  I never dreamed that using a Microsoft application with it's own default naming convention would be a problem.  But it was.  When VS2008 installs, the projects path defaults to %My Documents%\Visual Studio 2008\Projects...  After about 30 hours installing, uninstalling, and testing and several hours with a Microsoft engineer, we removed the spaces between "Visual Studio 2008" and the cab built perfectly.

SOLUTION:  Remove all spaces in your file paths!

Bruce..
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Norton Friday, February 5, 2010 4:00 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:00 PM

All replies

• >>I am following the walkthrough step by step

Which walkthrough did you follow? Anyway please read this article:

Deploying .NET Compact Framework 2.0 Applications with .cab and .msi Files
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx 

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, February 5, 2010 1:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bruce Norton Friday, February 5, 2010 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:20 AM
  • One of the things that has always frustrated me with Microsoft is the convention of using spaces in folder names and file names.  One of the reasons this is a point of frustration is that when you do this you often have to remember to include quotes when you reference the file in a command line.  And yes, I do still often go back to a command line - the habits of one who started with dos 3 and drdos.  I am and always will be a fan of CamelCaps, but I also get tired of removing spaces so over the years I have gotten lazy and allowed Microsoft Applications to install using the default naming conventions. 

This presents a problem with cabwiz.  Apparently, cabwiz will sometimes fail when paths have spaces in the folder names.  I never dreamed that using a Microsoft application with it's own default naming convention would be a problem.  But it was.  When VS2008 installs, the projects path defaults to %My Documents%\Visual Studio 2008\Projects...  After about 30 hours installing, uninstalling, and testing and several hours with a Microsoft engineer, we removed the spaces between "Visual Studio 2008" and the cab built perfectly.

SOLUTION:  Remove all spaces in your file paths!

Bruce..
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Norton Friday, February 5, 2010 4:00 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:00 PM