none
register class library control(activex dll) in setup project of the outlook addin 2007/2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my question is continuation with the following thread which I created.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxbcl/thread/bb22f0d2-2cae-4388-bdf8-274290601c18

I made an outlook addin 2007/2010, where in explorer, the web browser control is called, and html page is executed using IE and there activex control is called through javascript.

this activex I made using vs.net 2008 using c# class library project.

when we run addin at vista, windows7 etc, then " 'This webiste wants to run the following addon: 'Control name is not available' from 'Unknown Publisher'.If you trsut the website and addon and want to allow it to run- click here."

can we get rid of this message, I got answers that we signed the control but that is not enough. then I went for registering the dll at setup project.

I found different scripts, but getting confused. I tried one way that in vs.net2008 , in the setup project where this project primary output added, I set to vsdrcomself register property in dependencies. but when I do it , the project does not compile , say this dll can't be self registered.

Can any one provide how should I register the dll at setup project, registering dll will be the solution of this problem?

I checked vista, windows7 registries, when IE produce yellow bar security message and then control enabled , in registry we have many places where its clsid mentioned and it is so random ..so I can't add registry manually at setup project, just like I'm adding registry for outlook addin in HKEY_Current_Users.

Thanks

--Mehnaz
    Mehnaz Anwar
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:42 AM

Answers

• Whatever you read at different sites you are still talking about different things with "unknown publisher" and with any Web site trust issues. To repeat what I said in an earlier post:

You're talking about various different things. Signing the code with an Authenticode certificate will get rid of the "unknown publisher" message. If the certificate is trusted on the end user's computer that gets rid of another layer of doubt.

If the Web site is trusted as far as Internet security settings, or is an internal site, that removes the message about trusting the Web site. There are also possibilities of marking any Web code as safe for initialization and safe for scripting, but that's something I haven't worked with in managed code, just with VB6 in the past.

For any Web trust issues for the code you either need to set the location as trusted in the IE settings or you need to set things up as safe for scripting and safe for initialization and maybe still have to trust the location.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Mehnaz13" <=?utf-8?B?TWVobmF6MTM=?=> wrote in message news:f50c2d1a-37a2-4bd8-b7ee-e3dc23676915...

Hi Ken,

thanks for the prompt response,

as I mentioned that the yellow bar appear at the top of html page executed in outlook explorer, My clients wants that it should not come, whatever downloading /installing must be done when we run the setup project of the outlook addin. Well so far we didn't have the signed the code yet, and then definitely didn't make any process which trusted the certificate on end user.

but as after running this addin , when activex get installed , I saw registries at target system, so worked on idea of registering, as I found at many places about this.

well in the present situation, no need to register dll, this is C# class library project whose primary output I've added in the installer project. This project is communicating through javascript on html page, which is not the website, infact one html page which would be present on the target machine.

My client wanted to make sure everything before buying the signing certificate, as now we are releasing beta. I didn't find anywhere for such signing codes the sample/demo certificate so that I could test it before buying it.

Also at some of the websites, it was mentioned that they signed the code, but still getting the prompt of yellowbar at the html page, so people suggested there to register the dlls.

well so I need your final recommendation that should we get the certificate now, as it will resolve the problem.

Thanks again for your all responses on different threads, you guys are helping me alot...

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Mehnaz13 Sunday, October 23, 2011 3:53 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:42 PM

All replies

• You're talking about various different things. Signing the code with an Authenticode certificate will get rid of the "unknown publisher" message. If the certificate is trusted on the end user's computer that gets rid of another layer of doubt.

If the Web site is trusted as far as Internet security settings, or is an internal site, that removes the message about trusting the Web site. There are also possibilities of marking any Web code as safe for initialization and safe for scripting, but that's something I haven't worked with in managed code, just with VB6 in the past.

As far as registration, what DLL are you talking about registering? Is it a DLL that can actually be registered? Can you register it manually with a call to regsvr32?

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Mehnaz13" <=?utf-8?B?TWVobmF6MTM=?=> wrote in message news:6d1f4118-68dd-4d92-81a9-447f69e3a2aa...
    Hi,

my question is continuation with the following thread which I created.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxbcl/thread/bb22f0d2-2cae-4388-bdf8-274290601c18

I made an outlook addin 2007/2010, where in explorer, the web browser control is called, and html page is executed using IE and there activex control is called through javascript.

this activex I made using vs.net 2008 using c# class library project.

when we run addin at vista, windows7 etc, then " 'This webiste wants to run the following addon: 'Control name is not available' from 'Unknown Publisher'.If you trsut the website and addon and want to allow it to run- click here."

can we get rid of this message, I got answers that we signed the control but that is not enough. then I went for registering the dll at setup project.

I found different scripts, but getting confused. I tried one way that in vs.net2008 , in the setup project where this project primary output added, I set to vsdrcomself register property in dependencies. but when I do it , the project does not compile , say this dll can't be self registered.

Can any one provide how should I register the dll at setup project, registering dll will be the solution of this problem?

I checked vista, windows7 registries, when IE produce yellow bar security message and then control enabled , in registry we have many places where its clsid mentioned and it is so random ..so I can't add registry manually at setup project, just like I'm adding registry for outlook addin in HKEY_Current_Users.

Thanks

--Mehnaz
    Mehnaz Anwar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Hi Ken,

as I mentioned that the yellow bar appear at the top of html page executed in outlook explorer, My clients wants that it should not come, whatever downloading /installing must be done when we run the setup project of the outlook addin. Well so far we didn't have the signed the code yet, and then definitely didn't make any process which trusted the certificate on end user.

but as after running this addin , when activex get installed , I saw registries at target system, so worked on idea of registering, as I found at many places about this.

well in the present situation, no need to register dll, this is C# class library project whose primary output I've added in the installer project. This project is communicating through javascript on html page, which is not the website, infact one html page which would be present on the target machine.

My client wanted to make sure everything before buying the signing certificate, as now we are releasing beta. I didn't find anywhere for such signing codes the sample/demo certificate so that I could test it before buying it.

Also at some of the websites, it was mentioned that they signed the code, but still getting the prompt of yellowbar at the html page, so people suggested there to register the dlls.

well so I need your final recommendation that should we get the certificate now, as it will resolve the problem.

Thanks again for your all responses on different threads, you guys are helping me alot...

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Whatever you read at different sites you are still talking about different things with "unknown publisher" and with any Web site trust issues. To repeat what I said in an earlier post:

You're talking about various different things. Signing the code with an Authenticode certificate will get rid of the "unknown publisher" message. If the certificate is trusted on the end user's computer that gets rid of another layer of doubt.

For any Web trust issues for the code you either need to set the location as trusted in the IE settings or you need to set things up as safe for scripting and safe for initialization and maybe still have to trust the location.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Mehnaz13" <=?utf-8?B?TWVobmF6MTM=?=> wrote in message news:f50c2d1a-37a2-4bd8-b7ee-e3dc23676915...

Hi Ken,

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Mehnaz13 Sunday, October 23, 2011 3:53 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:42 PM