Which Access tier has to be chosen for the Azure blob storage to have a retention of 15 days. RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking to store some of the data of my services in an Azure blob storage. I really require the retention of data for 15 days and I would access it rarely one file in a day. I may get max 5 MB of data per day to store.

I am not sure which Access tier (Hot, cold, Archive) could be a better option in pricing wise. I am not clear after reading the doc. Does any one give some pointers. Thanks.

Monday, July 30, 2018 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The data you store in an Azure Blob Storage account is retained indefinitely (as long as your subscription is active). If you only require it for 15 days, you will have to remove the data yourself.

Since you rarely access the data, I'd suggest you use the 'cool' storage tier, as the costs for storing data is lower, but costs for accessing data is higher. In contrary to the 'hot' storage tier, where storing data is more expensive and costs for accessing data is lower.

You should not use the 'archive' storage tier, since this data is offline and should not be accessed on a regular basis.

Monday, July 30, 2018 8:02 AM
  • Hi, 

The following links will be helpful for your questions.

Please, If you think your question has been answered click "Mark as Answer" if just helped click "Vote as helpful". This can be beneficial to other community members reading this forum thread.

Monday, July 30, 2018 10:24 AM
  • I would suggest you to use Azure Blob Storage lifecycle management (Preview). It offers a rich, rule-based policy which you can use to transition your data to the best access tier and to expire data at the end of its lifecycle.

Lifecycle management policy helps you:

• Transition blobs to a cooler storage tier (Hot to Cool, Hot to Archive, or Cool to Archive) to optimize for performance and cost
    • Delete blobs at the end of their lifecycles
    • Define rules to be executed once a day at the storage account level (it supports both GPv2 and Blob storage accounts)
    • Apply rules to containers or a subset of blobs (using prefixes as filters)
    • Proposed as answer by vikranth s Monday, July 30, 2018 8:48 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 8:48 PM
  • @Edge, Just checking in to see if the above responses helped to answer your query. Let us know if there are still any additional issues we can help with.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 2:36 PM