TFS 2008 and SQL Server Reporting Services errors

Question

• hi everybody
    i've installed TFS 2008 on SERVER 2008 with SQL SERVER 2008 and VS2008 team system on my computer but the problem is that in the team portal of a project i have and
    SQL Server Reporting Services errors even in the team explorer within the VS the reports folder in marked with red cross

i'll detail the steps of the installation maybe i've done something wrong:
    -installed server2008 sp1
    -installed IIS 7
    -installed sql server2008 with all the services under an account named svc_sql and installed SQL Server Reporting Services on native mode (they give you three choice the native, the sharepoint and not configure )
    -merged the TFS2008 with SP1 and installed it with all the steps describes in the manual
    -installed the build

thanks a lot.

Friday, September 26, 2008 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have run into exactly the same issue after a clean installation following all steps carefully.

I was able to trace the problem completely and I propose a workaround, below.

Edit: same problem same resolution here

IMHO it is a bug in the installation process.

Unfortunately I now am stuck with another issue (non-security related) already reported here: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3882510&SiteID=1 (post of 16SEP2008 !)

Edit: This problem seems to be transient... a scheduled SQL job has probably resolved this issue for me...

Setup configuration:

- Installation on a Domain

- App Tier Server config: Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, WSS 3.0 SP1 (single tier installation)

- All service accounts are domain accounts except SQL Server 2008 (this becomes important later...)

Issue:

Not a single report functions properly.

Steps to reproduce:

- Perform installation

- Create one Team Project (using TFSSETUP account)

- Access the Team Project Portal

- The "Remaining Work" web part displays a "Reporting Services" error

Debugging:

1) Via SQL Event Log viewer - simultaneous display of SQL Log and Application Log

- 2 errors close to each other in log:

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Cannot open database "TfsWarehouse" requested by the login. The login failed.; 42000.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database. [CLIENT:

=> Problem linked to the SQL Server Service account with a OLEDB connection

2) Via SQL Management Studio:  Connect to "Analysis Services"

- Reproduction of bug: Right-click "TfsWarehouse" and select "Process"

=> The same error (with more details) occurs

- For the "TfsWarehouse" database, the "Data Source" "TfsWarehouseDataSource" is configured to use a connection with "Service Account impersonation" to the database "TfsWarehouse"

3) Via SQL Management Studio: Connect to "Database Services"

- The user "Network Service" has *no* access to the database => This is the missing configuration

Workaround

Execute the following script on the database (replacing "Network Service" with the Analysis services" service account - if different)

USE [TfsWarehouse]

GO

CREATE USER [NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE] FOR LOGIN [NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE]

GO

USE [TfsWarehouse]

GO

EXEC sp_addrolemember N'TfsWarehouseDataReader', N'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'

GO

Test workaround:

Via SQL Management Studio: Connect to "Analysis Services":

- Right-click "TfsWarehouse" and select "Process"

=> The warehouse is now correctly loaded

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

• Did you install VS 2008 SP1 after installing Team Explorer? If not, pls install and try once.

Friday, September 26, 2008 4:56 PM
  • thanks for replying
    i've installed vs 2008 and team explorer after installing all the other staff
    Friday, September 26, 2008 4:59 PM
  •  

Also VS 2008 SP1???
    Friday, September 26, 2008 5:05 PM
  • nope i've not installed the SP1 of VS2008 i'll do it now
    but even in internet explorer i can't access reports. so i don't think the problem is in VS but i'll try it now. who knows. thanks
    Friday, September 26, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  

If you are not able to access reports through IE, thats another issue. But now you have TFS with SP1, so the client also should be patched with SP1

Friday, September 26, 2008 5:18 PM
  • half problem solved, i can access the report folder but when i click the document i have this message :
    An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
    Query execution failed for dataset 'IterationParam'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand)
    The Team System cube either does not exist or has not been processed.

i've tried to process the cube following this topic : http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=274170&SiteID=1
    but i have now many errors under sql server management (analysis server) when i right click to process tfswarehouse:
    OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Cannot open database "TFSWarehouse" requested by the login. The login failed.; 42000.
    Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'TfsWarehouseDataSource', Name of 'TfsWarehouseDataSource'.

many of them.

any sugestions???
    Friday, September 26, 2008 9:53 PM
  • seems like there is access rights isse. Pls see if this post helps(its related to TFS2005 though):

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3474383&SiteID=17

Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:19 AM
  • i've tied seems not working i'll detail the steps maybe i've screwed up:
    -SQL management Studio >Database Engine>databases>tfswarehouse>security>users>
    granted dbo user (administrator) the tfswarehousedatareader shema (can't assign him the role i have an error)
    Connected to Analysis services>database>tfswarehouse>roles>
    i've set the tfswarehousedatareader role permissions to full contrl process database and read definition
    still don't want to process

anyway thanks you a lot for your help
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:55 AM
  • Hello,

I have run into exactly the same issue after a clean installation following all steps carefully.

Unfortunately I now am stuck with another issue (non-security related) already reported here: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3882510&SiteID=1 (post of 16SEP2008 !)

Edit: This problem seems to be transient... a scheduled SQL job has probably resolved this issue for me...

Setup configuration:

- App Tier Server config: Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, WSS 3.0 SP1 (single tier installation)

- All service accounts are domain accounts except SQL Server 2008 (this becomes important later...)

Issue:

Steps to reproduce:

- Perform installation

Debugging:

1) Via SQL Event Log viewer - simultaneous display of SQL Log and Application Log

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Cannot open database "TfsWarehouse" requested by the login. The login failed.; 42000.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database. [CLIENT:

- For the "TfsWarehouse" database, the "Data Source" "TfsWarehouseDataSource" is configured to use a connection with "Service Account impersonation" to the database "TfsWarehouse"

- The user "Network Service" has *no* access to the database => This is the missing configuration

Workaround

Execute the following script on the database (replacing "Network Service" with the Analysis services" service account - if different)

USE [TfsWarehouse]

GO

CREATE USER [NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE] FOR LOGIN [NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE]

GO

USE [TfsWarehouse]

GO

EXEC sp_addrolemember N'TfsWarehouseDataReader', N'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'

GO

Test workaround:

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:35 PM
  • UPDATE 2008-10-21:
    Holy...  Alright, I ended up deleting the Encryption Key content from Reporting Services, reset the service account, reset the connection information in the TFS Reporting Services Data Sources, restarted Analysis Services, and ran the TFS Warehouse adapters!!! At this point, I am too tired to reference the MANY, MANY forum threads and blog posts I read trying to get this to work. Ultimately all I wanted to do was install Server 2008 Enterprise Edition, SQL 2008 Developer Edition (everything), SharePoint 2007 WFE, TFS 2008 (+Team Explorer+Build). A slim version of VS2008 is installed with SQL 2008 for Business Intelligence Studio, so I didn't need to install that. I did need to setup all the right user accounts, avoid configuring Reporting Services prior to TFS install, merge the TFS install with the TFS SP1 install and run the merged setup, and then muck around for hours and hours trying to get Reporting Services to work (which included VS2008 SP1 and the first sentence items above)! I don't know if it did anything, but I also manually ran the TfsRsConfig.exe during the mix. UGH! WAY TOO DAMN DIFFICULT MICROSOFT! (I read everything you gave me, I re-read it, I read the woes of others, I installed and configured time and again and again... I am no 'newbie' to the process of configuring 'enterprise' software, so what's left to 'blame' than the install team?) My constructive criticism is this... TEST with someone who doesn't know that you need to modify 50 registry keys after the install guys! (Thank god I did not have to touch the registry actually.) OH! For those still reading, I am completely avoiding Microsoft's eSCRUM product after reading everything along the way. There is no way I will attempt that mess. (perhaps they fixed the install and config, but after all of this, I'm simply not wasting my time...)

After attempting the same TFS install almost 15 times... I have experienced the EXACT same issues with one small deviation = I installed SharePoint 2007 web front end as a separate install per the TFS instructions. I will try DeChrist's workaround for Reporting Services and report back... UGH!!!

I wanted some experience with a "scalable" installation, but I may end up just doing a basic "everything on a box" install just to get back to work!

Has Microsoft attempted installing these products in any variety with people that are NEW to these installs? After all of the command line scripts, the configuration programs, the configuration files, the security settings, the program start-stops, reboots, install, patch, install, patch again... AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

How about this: Microsoft pros pre-install multiple configurations on multiple VHDs and the instructions read "1) Boot, 2) Activate with your license."? Anyone with special needs can go through the hell that lays before them.

--Eric Swanson
    • Edited by iseric Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:49 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:13 PM
  • I ran into this same issue and discovered that it was caused by the SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services account differing from the SQL Server 2008 Database Engine account when the TFS installation was run. To resolve it I had to follow these steps:

1. Add the TFS Setup account to the SQL Server Analysis Services Administrator Group
    2. Add the SQL Server Analysis Services account as a TfsWarehouseDataReader to the TfsWarehouse relational database
    3. Reprocess the cube

Hope this helps!

Monday, January 12, 2009 5:53 AM
  • Hello,

Setup configuration:

Issue:

Steps to reproduce:

- Perform installation

Debugging:

Workaround

USE [TfsWarehouse]

GO

GO

USE [TfsWarehouse]

GO

GO

Test workaround:

We had an issue that the cube would not process.  The above solution fixed our issue with the cube processing.  Now on to the next error...
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Try Re-install TFS SP1 and VSTS SP1 (because team explorer uses VS)

Sometimes, when i need  install TFS i apply SP1 on the firt time but doesn't work.

On Second try this works very well.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:26 PM