how to bind term sets and terms to columns in a list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Scenario: I have created terms sets and terms using Term Store Management Tool like SpecializedAreas(TermSets) and SpecializedSkills(Terms) according to the areas. I am adding two managed meta data columns to the list named Skills.

Problem Description: Now when i add new item in the list or while editing the list, I need to populate only SpecializedAreas in the Areas Column and only SpecializedSkills in the Skills Column according to the area.

Kindly let me know any solutions how to achieve this.

Thanks

Razvi444

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:56 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure why you describe SpecializedAreas as TermSets and SpecializedSkills as Terms?

Anyway, what I think you need is two term sets, one for SpecializedAreas and a seperate term set for SpecializedSkills. Then you can bind each to the relevant column in your list.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hi  Steven Mulkerrins

Think like having two textboxes and first textbox i will enter "java" and in second textbox i need to get java related skills like J2EE, Spring, Hibernate" according to Area using managed metadata and i dont want to get all skills which are defined in SpecializedSkillsSpecializedAreas belongs to "Java" and SpecializedSkills belongs to "J2EE, Spring, Hibernate". Kindly let me know any solutions how can i achieve this.

Thanks

Razvi444

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Ok, I see what you mean now.

In that case then I think you just need one Termset that will have your "Areas" as the top level terms, and then the "Skills" will be sub-terms under the relevant top level terms, for e.g.

-Java
    --J2EE
    --Spring
    --Hibernate
    -C#
    --Visual Studio
    --ASP.Net
    --MVC

Then you only need one column in your list, it can allow multiple values if you like, and when users are filling out their skills they will be able to drill down through the areas to pick the relevant skills.

• Proposed as answer by thriggle Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:43 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:53 PM

• Thanks for your solution and i have done what you said before and i need to restrict users to pick other skills like c# and others in the SpecializedSkills textbox when user enters java in the SpecializedArea textbox and this is the scenario i am facing now like only java related skills have to be shown even though there are other skills. kindly let me know any solutions.

Thanks

Razvi444

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:05 PM