Expiring RIghts RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way in TFS to assign rights to certain folders/files and have those rights expire after a set amount of time or something similar?  In VSS we have to manually go in and assign rights, then when the developer is done we would have to go in and manually take rights away again.  With several hundred developers this gets time consuming.  We are looking for a way to have the rights 'expire'.  We will not be using the Work Item tracking system, we are already heavily invested in our own solution.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 7:40 PM

Answers

• I don't know of any built in way of doing so.  However, if you really need this feature, you can access the permissions through either the object model or tf.exe (tf perm).  I bet you could write a script/tool to scan through a list or database table with usernames folders, and start/end dates, and then run "tf permission" with /allow or /remove as appropriate.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:11 AM

All replies

• Not really.  Sounds like a job for a web service.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:30 AM
  • I don't know of any built in way of doing so.  However, if you really need this feature, you can access the permissions through either the object model or tf.exe (tf perm).  I bet you could write a script/tool to scan through a list or database table with usernames folders, and start/end dates, and then run "tf permission" with /allow or /remove as appropriate.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Thank you both for your answers!
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:41 PM