System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Not a valid password. RRS feed

• Question

• User1994556403 posted

One of our customers uses the following System.Data.OleDb connection string in his web.config

<add name="Web" providerName="System.Data.OleDb" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=d:\www\[munged]\database\KCP.accdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=password;"/>

Running the application in an application pool under the NETWORK SERVICE account, it works perfect. If we change the identity of the AppPool, the exception is thrown. With the following Server Error:

---
    Server Error in '/Poker' Application.
    Not a valid password.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Not a valid password.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80040e4d): Not a valid password.]
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection) +969373
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject) +86
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +29
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +4863644
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +117
       System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +40
       _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +113
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082
    ---

Using tools like Filemon and Regmon, everything looks fine. The database can also be opend, queried and closed, according to Filemon. The IUSR account is added to the IIS_WPG group, and has modify permissions on the "database" folder. The Access database file is Access 2007 (.accdb).

We've searched for days and nothing relevant came out. We had the same problem last december, when we changed the AppPool identity on a server, and our only (temporary) solution was to move the web site to a web server on which AppPools run as NETWORK SERVICE.

Friday, August 21, 2009 6:49 AM

All replies

• User312496708 posted

I think the changed user does not permission to access the sql server

Friday, August 21, 2009 8:07 AM
  • User1994556403 posted

I think the changed user does not permission to access the sql server

The Access database file is Access 2007 (.accdb).

Friday, August 21, 2009 8:31 AM
  • User1997111980 posted

I'm having the same problem.. the following is the error message i got.

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException (0x80040E4D): Not a valid password.
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
       at login.btnLogin_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aps\login.aspx.vb:line 15

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException (0x80040E4D): Not a valid password.

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()

at login.btnLogin_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aps\login.aspx.vb:line 15

I used vwd 2010 express to develop the application, and i try to deploy to the local web server (IIS 7), however this is the error message i got.. but when i run with the vwd 2010, everything is ok... ...

Thank you.

Vincent.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:55 AM