What is the best way to arrange multi-project source? RRS feed

• Question

• I have moved from VB6 development to .NET (VS2005) and am finding it hard to figure the best way to arrange my projects/solutions. I have a number of VB6 dll's upgraded to .NET that are used in 4 different solutions. Is it best to try to include those new assemblies in the GAC and reference them into the .Exe project or include them all as projects in the overall solution. And if the latter is preferable do I link them all to one set of source files or allocate each solution it's own set of .DLL projects (probably a bad idea afaics)?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• The best way it to keep all of your projects in a single solution. That way you can be sure that if a change is made to one of your supporting dll's it does not break one of your applications.

If developers want to open only relevant projects, then they can create a local solution, not under source control, that has only the projects of relevance. But they should have the discipline to open and build the entire solution before checking in...

Check out the answers from this other thread...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsversioncontrol/thread/e639c78a-555e-4aeb-9413-36a48fe5590e
    Martin Hinshelwood | Team System MVP
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:34 PM