none
Community 2015 Install Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Earlier today I had to reinstall Windows 10 and now I have to reinstall visual studio and necessary sdks. I figure it's a good opportunity to install them on my D drive because before it was on my C drive which doesn't have a whole lot of space. I'm just wondering if anything has to be installed in a specific location. Also not 100% on what SDK(s) I actually need. Like, I had installed the Windows 10 sdk but visual studio said I needed windows 8.1 sdk. Idk. I'm confused. I'd really appreciate some help getting set up again.

Thanks

• Edited by DomFazli Friday, June 17, 2016 1:44 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2016 1:25 AM

Answers

• Dear DomFazli,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> I'm just wondering if anything has to be installed in a specific location.

If you choose another drive (not the system drive) as the installation location, VS 2015 will install the majority of features to this target drive, but VS 2015 still requires space on the system drive for the following reasons:

• Shared runtimes like the .NET Framework and Visual C/C++ which require installing into the system drive.
    • Packages shared with other products that have their own installation folders like SQL Server and Windows SDK
    • Components shared with other applications like Office or services like IIS
    • Windows Installer and package caches

What’s more, please see this blog: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2012/03/07/why-visual-studio-11-requires-space-on-the-system-drive/

>> Also not 100% on what SDK(s) I actually need. Like, I had installed the Windows 10 sdk but visual studio said I needed windows 8.1 sdk. Idk.

From the above blog, we can know the Windows SDK is a shared packages and have their own installation folders often locates in the system drive, we recommend users install SDKs in the system drive, in case lead to unnecessary problems.

As far as I know, the Windows 10 SDK and Windows 8.1 SDK are the custom options during the installation like the following screenshot, you can select to install or not per your development requirement.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 17, 2016 5:54 AM