How do I add an alert for output warnings? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm trying to monitor stream analytics jobs and fire notifications if service is ditrupted. My main problem is with the output warnings, such as "data warehouse stopped", "failed to convert string to date", etc. 

I tried to add a metric to alert on the lack of input events for a period of time but that did not work well with my scenario.

I can't seem to find the related metric to add an alert on. Anyone had a success with this?

Thanks

Giray

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may consider some alert based on the "data conversion errors" metrics, as described here.

Also, you can make the query more robust to data conversion error by using the TRY_CAST statement.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:06 PM
  • Hey @JS Azure, 

Thanks for the input. I actually solved the data conversion issue using TRY_CAST, and as you said, it's very effective.

But the actual monitoring issue stands. I still can't monitor or raise notification for issues like "output unreachable", or "malformed input". I'm aware that I can test these before deploying to production with sampling, but it feels like there should be any other method of monitoring the warnings, which are right now only detectable by opening the ASA job and checking if there are any issues. That beats the whole purpose of monitoring imho.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:58 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. At the moment we don't have "warnings" available as a metric.

However a workaround would be to turn on "diagnostic logs" for your ASA job.

If you use a storage account or event hub to send the logs you can then create another ASA job to monitor these alerts. Or you can use Azure Log Analytics to analyse them.

Thanks,

JS

Friday, December 29, 2017 7:44 PM